what drill is best?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

hope its ok to post this here as wasn't sure where else to post it.

Im looking to get my self a new corded drill, currently i have a hammer drill but it does struggle to drill into some walls. Its for a home DIYer not professional use. Quite like the idea of being able to use the drill as a chisels etc (sds i think?)

I have had a look on the screwfix website and it gives the options of SDS, Percussion and diamond core. What the difference between them?

I think it will be a SDS that i end up getting but this confuses me even more as there are 2 different types of SDS, SDS PLUS and SDS MAX and then each of these have both 2 function and 3 function versions! One top of working out if i want plus or max, 2 or 3 functions there is also the weight, they range from 2k to 20k and i cant imagine its the weight of the drill!!!

please help me as i dont have a clue :(

Sponsored Links
Forget percussion :!: they belong in a skip - just get a sds :idea: don`t bother with rotation stop - used for chiselling- do that by hand with a hammer and chisel ;) . So look for £ offers on simple sds drills . If you want to spend a bit more , look @ metabo tools - that`ll see you out and you can leave it in your will :LOL:

Bosch make the best 2kg sds out there. The one with the combination chuck. Have one in the van.
Forget the number but its GBH something.

I bought a Bosch 2Kg sds when they first came out and its still going like the clappers ,after years of percussion drills screaming their heads off and burning out bit's, sds drills were a bit of a relief,Idon't know why anyone makes main's powered percussion drills anymore?

Sponsored Links
I bought a Bosch 2Kg sds when they first came out and its still going like the clappers ,after years of percussion drills screaming their heads off and burning out bit's, sds drills were a bit of a relief,Idon't know why anyone makes main's powered percussion drills anymore?

Punters'll still buy 'em, so they still make 'em.

I've had a blue one for 20 years - second hand then.

I bought a secondhand Titan SDS for £17 on fleabay - One of the best tools I've ever bought. It drills into concrete with no problem and is also useful for removing floor and wall tiles with very little effort. I think the newer models are about fifty quid at screwfix.

I bought a secondhand Titan SDS for £17 on fleabay - One of the best tools I've ever bought. It drills into concrete with no problem and is also useful for removing floor and wall tiles with very little effort. I think the newer models are about fifty quid at screwfix.

And they're the cheap, crappy end of SDS drills!

You won't get more bang for your buck than Titan. I love their gear.

Thanks for all the reply's however so far nobody has answered any of my questions lol.

I think i have worked out that its SDS+ im after (SDS MAX is to expensive) and that i want a 3 function one as want it for chisel etc. The only thing i have not been able to work out is the weight. Is it how much impact it has or how heavy the drill is?

I do appreciate your posts about what you have though as i think ill get a Bosch SDS+ 3 function drill... just not sure on the weight now :(

having looked on screwfix's website i think i have got it down to 2 drills now...

Bosch 2kg SDS+ Drill GBH2000 240V
http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-2kg-sds-drill-gbh2000-240v/87453#
Max. drilling capacity in masonry 20mm, wood 30mm, steel 13mm. Max. impact energy 1.6J. Overall length 325mm. Weight 2.3kg.

DeWalt D25013N-GB 2kg SDS+ Hammer Drill 240V
http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-d25013n-gb-2kg-sds-hammer-drill-240v/92018#
Max. drilling capacity in masonry 22mm, wood 30mm, steel 13mm. Max. impact energy 2.4J. Overall length 325mm. Cable length: 4m. Weight 2.3kg.

am i correct to think that the dewalt is the better drill as can do 2mm more on masonry and has a grater impact energy by 0.8J?

For general purpose use, I'd suggest something around 2kg. Yes it does relate to the tool weight, and anything heavier only becomes useful for very dense materials, which are very thick - not usually applicable to DIY.

Heavier drills give no advantage to almost all general DIY or pro work, but have the disadvantage of being heavy. The cheap generic Chinese drills are just heavy due to old fashioned design, not specifically for the purpose of the tool

The joules rating is relevant to chiselling (higher is better)

am i correct to think that the dewalt is the better drill as can do 2mm more

No, that figure is largely irrelevant. The Bosch or any other similar rated drill will drill the same sized holes

Likewise for the joules. 0.8 extra is on paper and not a great deal in actual use. But perhaps other things being equal, including price and quality, then yes it may be a factor

there both the same price but it does look like the bosch comes with a case where the dewalt dont

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back