More powerfull drill required, SDS+?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need a new drill for DIY applications. Tired of struggling with my £30 wickes special that loses grip on bits when going through brickwork and won't punch small HSS bits through metal lintels. Would a more expensive drill make a big difference? I'm thinking something like the Ryobi ERH-650V 240V 2kg SDS Plus, which looks a bargain at screwfix (£40). I will need to chisel out brickwork soon (for electrical points in new conservatory) and have a bathroom full of tiles to remove, so will pay the extra for roto stop if it's worth it i.e. BOSCH GBH 2-26DRE 2kg SDS Plus Drill or DeWalt D25113K 240V 2kg SDS Plus Drill, both £130 at screwfix.
So, I guess my questions are:
1) Will SDS+ make a big difference
2) What are the above models like, and which is best
3) Is the chisel, roto stop function worth it
4) Any other models to consider?

Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I have the Dewalt drill you have mentioned with the rotation stop option, it has served me well and will quite happily drill a 1" hole through an 11" brick wall. SDS drill bits vary in price but JCB do a good set and Macro's were doing them for around a tenner a set a while ago. When I got my drill it came with a set of SDS drill bits and a jacobs chuck and adapter which you will need for HSS drill bits.

1) Yes
2) All good for the money. I'd say Bosch, Dewalt, Ryobi, but bear in miond you could get 3 ryobi for one of the Dewalts so that changes the V.F.M. factor.
3) Yes, comes in handy.
4) One of the heavyweight under £40 cheapie jobs from the sheds.
I have a 2KG Bosch for drilling, and a £30 Powerbase model from Homebase, on it's last legs after 18 months but has done loads of smashing and breaking. I'd buy another.

angeldust - as always it depends on your budget and what you are asking the tool to do. Trade type work IMO means tackle with metal inards (gearing, etc) - your DeWalts & top-end Boschs - 'cos they'll take a hammering and livelyhoods rely on dependable tools. The serious DIYer again should aim for 'trade' quality stuff, but for the occasional user DIY Shed own brands (or similar) are fine ... but get a SDS+. Bin them when they're knackered and get another.

Sometimes even the cheepo stuff lasts/gives good service in a trade environment; I bought a very small Nutool circular saw donkeys years ago in Makro and it turned out to be a fantactic piece of kit.

Sponsored Links
as symptoms says its budget related,but imo you cannot go wrong with the bosch model,i have that 1 myself and its nearly 3 years old and i use it nearly every day,my last 1 lasted about 12 years so its worth investing in good quality tools that will last a long long time.

I have that exact Dewalt and I did a 6" core through my brick walls no problem :)

Rotostop is great - I use it for removing floor tiles, chasing walls, sinking back boxes... wouldn't buy and SDS without it.

Aldi and Lidl do offers all the time where you can get a big blue box of bits and chisels for about a fiver.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back