SDS Drill for home use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
anyone know if one or any these would be a good workhorse with a bit of grunt for drilling into a concrete lintel - to fix a flippin curtain pole ....

BOSCH PBH 2000RE SDS Hammer Drill

BOSCH PBH 2200RE SDS Plus Hammer Drill

Bosch GBH2-18 SDS+ Hammer Drill 240V

JCBD-RHD950F 950W Rotary SDS Hammer Drill

RYOBI SDS Plus Hammer Drill 2kg from screwfix - was £80 now £40 (Old stock ?)

Sponsored Links
JCB make good diggers, but crrap tools - well rebranded crrap tools

Any of the others though

Sponsored Links
Needless to say; whichever sds drill you get, you should grease her up before you stick your bit in. Or grease up your bit, but only at the base of the shaft. Not the business end or things will get messy.

Bosch GBH2-18 SDS+ Hammer Drill 240V £60
vs
RYOBI SDS Plus Hammer Drill 2kg at £40

both from Screwfix (I love that place)

seeing as this is only for home use and I dont intend to fill the house with holes I'm really tempted by the Ryobi - is it 240v?

but then the Bosch is a professional tool (that was it says on the casing !) and it is 240v....hmmmmm

Cant see any Bosch SDS+ drill bits on Screwfix ?

So do I go with DeWalt or Erbauer or Heller ?

I cant remember the last time I greased any kind of shaft either. Where can I get shaft grease from?

I cant remember the last time I greased any kind of shaft either. Where can I get shaft grease from?

Your favourite place ;)

I've got the Bosch, and held the Ryobi. I can confirm that The Bosch is visibly of better build quality. Ryobi still do the job though, I have a few of their cordless tools and well pleased with.

i have used all the drills mentioned but only own the bosch.

the ryobi is not even on the same page, in fact, not even in the same book as the bosch.

the hammer action is pants!

the jcb will fall to bits.

Bosch GBH2-18 SDS+ Hammer Drill 240V

I think it's got to be the Bosch
Had a bad deal on a Makita and once bitten ... well you know
Many thanks for advice

look out screwfix here I come

Know , about that shaft grease[/quote]

message for noseall .....

I got the Bosch GBH2-18 this morning from Screwfix - it came with a set of 6 Bosch sds+ drills (which seem to be on sale for £20).
Was hanging wallpaper all afternoon and at about 6 o'clock it was time to tackle the dreaded curtain pole fixings in the lintel.

For anyone who has ever heard the expression "Right tool for the right job" this drill did it.
Went into the lintel like a hot knife into butter.

5.5 and then 7mm into the lintel - piece of cake....

What a great piece of kit ........

I know I said I wasn't going to fill the house full of holes, but !!!!!!!!!!!!

Ta for the advice ..
:eek:)

the first time you use a really good sds drill, i.e. hilti, bosch, etc, and having only ever used a regular noisy hammer drill, the difference is astonishing.

you go from, pushing all your weight onto a drill that goes nowhere and melts the bit - onto a drill you can hold above your head that punches its way through just about anything.

in fact, this is true, the bosch will still push an sds bit into the wall even when the tip has disintegrated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back