What filler do I need and what paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First off, have got a room that I'm currently trying to do up, have had it replastered and am at the stage of about to paint it.

Do I need to unibond the new plaster? and should I put some sort of damp sealer on the plaster close to the window and one which is north facing and gets very cold.?

Also, when first painting on new plaster (was a skim) do i use some cheap emulsion as a base coat?

Also, on the window sill (wooden) there is a gap where it meets the plaster on the wall, it starts off at around 3/4 of an inch and tapers down to about an 16th of an inch, the hole it shows is around 2inches deep. I will be painting the sill rather than staining it like last time round.

What do I fill it with? I dont think Woodfiller as it will be next to the plaster?

Any suggestions would be welcome

I've added a pic in my album

Thankyou!
GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
Wood filler is fine, just try not to get too much on the wall! You could always finish off the edges with decorators caulk.

The new plaster needs a mist coat. This is matt emulsion watered down. The ratio can cause discussions (!) but I have always done it 50-50% water and paint. Please do not use any PVA or anything on your plaster, a paint mist coat is all that is needed.

As for the damp sealer, well, hopefully someone else will step in. I personally would paint it normally and ensure the room is well ventilated to try and stop any mould starting. If you've a damp wall and keeps marking the walls or causing mould/bubbles in the paint then there's normally a reason for it. You could have damaged window's or brickwork outside as a starting point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back