What got you into DIY.

I still leave bricklaying, plastering, windows, plumbing and some electrics to the pros

Sometimes it's more cost effective to leave it to the pros. I fitted my first set of DG myself in the 80's. I (reluctantly) decided 7 years ago it was time to replace them and priced up buying and fitting them myself, versus getting a local company in to supply and fit. The supply and fit was a quite similar price, so I went with that. Two days on site and the job was done, versus the 10 days it would likely take me and the struggle.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, recently I treated myself to a DeWalt multi-tool and an impact screwdriver. Bought them just because I wanted them but they both came in very handy when I boarded out my floors and laid some vinyl click-lock flooring and again when I replaced the covering on my workshop yard gates.
Although having said that, I’ve still got to finish off the skirting boards in the kitchen. I’ve promised Mrs Mottie they will be done by Christmas but there's just too much good stuff on telly during the day! :rolleyes:

I am on my 3rd electric screwdriver. Slowly paying more, although still only on a B&Q Mac one - still amazing things really. When I runs out I try to finish a job with a screwdriver and soon decide it's time for a tea break.

Sponsored Links
Necessity.
That and low wages, no savings, distrust of tradesmen through having had them do crap work in the past.
As per my earlier post in this thread, my mum had always done her own decorating. One time she decided to splash some £££ and get a decorator in to do some wallpapering and painting (living room and dining room.) Think it was some sort of blown vinyl painted white. Although I was just in my teens I can remember it well to this day. The 'professional' decorator had pieced in here there and everywhere e.g. instead of cutting a run to fit around doorways and windows. This left gaps as he didn't butt edges very well. He then proceeded to slap on some sort of watered down very chalky white paint. I remember a few sizeable bubbles on the walls 'aye those will settle down once it dries' he advised ... nope.

Needless to say mum kept on doing her own decorating after that ;)

One time she decided to splash some £££ and get a decorator in to do some wallpapering and painting (living room and dining room.) Think it was some sort of blown vinyl painted white.

Decorating was always one of those jobs any unskilled person would tackle and just call themselves a 'painter and decorator', even to earn a bit on the side. There is nowt much to it, unless you want a really good job done. I'm not bad at papering and not bad at painting apart from the cutting in, but I am hopeless at painting ceilings.

Apart from the ceilings, I have never ever needed to call in outside help.

I always do my own painting, and we quite chuffed when the carpet fitter, who was also building an extension of his own, asked me who had painted the extension.

Decorating was always one of those jobs any unskilled person would tackle and just call themselves a 'painter and decorator', even to earn a bit on the side. There is nowt much to it, unless you want a really good job done. I'm not bad at papering and not bad at painting apart from the cutting in, but I am hopeless at painting ceilings.

Apart from the ceilings, I have never ever needed to call in outside help.

If I recall correctly, this guy had been doing it for years and came recommended! Mind you, I suppose one persons 'oh what a good job you've done' (so they recommend them to others) can vary quite dramatically to the next persons! :) One of the air bubbles was the size of a large saucer :) remember it to this day 'aye those'll dry and stretch out' lol! Not sure whether he thought he could get away with (woman on her own) or whether he was just rubbish at his trade full stop.

Sometimes it depends on your work circumstances. When I was a permanent employee I used to do much more, but since being a contractor (And having to work away) it's more cost effective to get someone else to do it than take a day off.

Perhaps rushing it, not allowing the paper to soak long enough and stretch out before hanging?
I don't know for sure, was in my teens so was pre my own journey into diy. But still remember the gaps (that he tried to 'fill' with the chalky paint I think) the square/rectangular pieces pieced in above doors, chalky paint runs in corners etc etc. Because my mum was half decent at this stuff herself, the faults stood out. In some ways happy memories cause I'm sure we ended up laughing about it / seeing the funny side :) Like the time we got venetian blinds fitted and the bottom third didn't close properly, increasing gaps as you looked down from top to bottom. Got the fitter back out. He opened and closed them rapidly and said 'You hear that? That's the sound of a well made blind.' :) :)

I don't know for sure, was in my teens so was pre my own journey into diy.

The worst thing is watching someone do a worse job than you could do yourself, but them not being willing to let you show them how to do it better. Someone good at what they do, a real pro, is a pleasure to just watch.

Papering window reveals. I got a sense of satisfaction out of being able to do it better than my father :D

Sponsored Links
Back