What got you into DIY.

My old man stopped looking after the house after he retired. Even if there was a lose screw somewhere, he wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.
I don't know what happened in him overnight.

Now, the house needs to be tended to and my younger sibling shows no interest in these either. So, ultimately, I HAD TO do DIY around the house. I am no expert but I have definitely learned a few techniques over the years.

Sponsored Links
We moved out of our old house in 1990. Two years ago I went back in there and they still have the same kitchen, curtains, carpet and wallpaper that was there when we left. Blown vinyl on some walls!

The worst thing is watching someone do a worse job than you could do yourself, but them not being willing to let you show them how to do it better. Someone good at what they do, a real pro, is a pleasure to just watch.
While that might be the case, I bet they are not too keen to have the customer gawping over their shoulder for the duration though.

Sponsored Links
Anaglypta! Remember that?

Whenever I papered a room my ex FIL would come round to inspect, (meaning criticise), my finished work. He would pick up on the tiniest bubble, the shortest crease or the slightest mis-match. He always said I should use a seam roller to press down any slight overlaps. I was still in my 20's so not a lot of experience but getting better each time. Then one day we went round to his to find he had papered the lounge in heavy embossed Anaglypta. YES!!!! :) I pointed out that you should not use a seam roller on embossed paper because he had flattened the relief so the joins stood out like a sore thumb. I then went on to point out big bubbles, (his excuse was it was still drying out, 3 days after he had finished), and also his mis-matches, (thats because the embossing wasn't applied properly), and various other 'imperfections'. He never criticised me again.

While that might be the case, I bet they are not too keen to have the customer gawping over their shoulder for the duration though.

Why? I always welcomed someone who took a keen interest in what I was doing and explaining my thought processes.

Why? I always welcomed someone who took a keen interest in what I was doing and explaining my thought processes.

No worries. Not all are like you though ; they often just want to crack on, get paid, and get to their next job.

usually starting up a noisy dust making machine sorts that out....done it loads of times.

Sponsored Links
Back