What have you been doing today?

Sponsored Links
Several years ago, I bought myself a fancy digital 250/500/1000 volt digital insulation tester, in a neat case, in readiness for a time when I might actually need it. Excepting, I have never actually needed it since then. The past few years, particularly the past few months, I've been gradually selling off some of my surplus equipment, stuff I simply will never have a use for - a bit of rationalisation. This morning I sold one of the three mains extensions reels, absolutely brand new, never ever used.

Several weeks ago, it dawned on me, that I had not seen that insulation tester in the years since I bought it. I usually keep such small portable items in a storage container, in my workshop, but it wasn't there. I searched the entire workshop, the garage, and failed to find it. It turned up this morning, hidden behind the mains extension reel.

Several years ago, I bought myself a fancy digital 250/500/1000 volt digital insulation tester . . .
Always worth checking the current prices on stuff before you offload it, what we paid 3/- 6d for might be worth as much as £5 these days.

Been a busy boy today. Had to cancel my dog walk with my friend as I had a message saying the tyres I ordered for the A3 were being delivered to my house between 8.44 and 10.44 so I walked the dog over the fields over the back. Got home for 8.44 and decided to give the Golf a wash to tidy it up as it was going for its test at 12.00. Of course, they turned up at 11.00 just as I was about to leave. No MOT stations near my workshop that I know are operating any more - a combination of covid, residents parking areas, more and more MOT station regulations and the ULEZ had finished off a lot of inner city testing stations. I decided to take it to the council run station near to my garage. £40 and a free retest. They don't do repairs so there is no vested interest in 'finding' work. All done and passed with a verbal advisory of the tyres getting low, a CV boot starting to perish and a headlamp glass slightly foggy. Then off to work where I removed and stripped the side-gate to the yard, removed the rotten ply covering and replaced it with new. A couple of coats of wood preserver and that was it apart from repairing the two broken screws in the Yale lock - I managed to remove the broken screws, clean out the threads and find a couple of new screws in one of my bolt buckets. I knew there'd be a couple in there somewhere - every mechanic has a bold/nut bucket or two somewhere!

IMG_1994.jpeg

I'll clean up when I'm in on Friday. Had enough for today - a bit too much like work for my liking. :eek: :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I'll clean up when I'm in on Friday. Had enough for today - a bit too much like work for my liking. :eek: :ROFLMAO:

A large, strong magnet, helps pick them up out of the dust, or what I sometimes do, when the wind is strong - bucket them with a shovel, then pour them from one bucket to another. The wind blows the lighter dust away.

I do at least try to sort my nuts and bolts in to some sort of order. Tiny ones, in shelves, bigger into buckets, and the 'really big, unlikely ever to be needed' 2" plus OD ones, from pumps, ships engines etc., in another bucket. One day......

What with complaining about anything and everything, sorting out your nuts and bolts collection, it's a wonder you find time to do anything else Harry!

Many years ago we got a cat flap with a lock operated by a magnet. Bob the cat had a collar with a small but powerful magnet which would open the lock. Occasionally he'd struggle home towing what looked like the contents of your nut box.

img_1994-jpeg.316680

Up early and in the gym. A little go on the running machine, cycling machine and moving steps machine. Then, into the pool, 50 metres front crawl, 50 metres backstroke, 4 metres butterfly and 146 metres breast stroke. The swimming knackered me - I used to swim for West Ham over 50 years ago and would swim non-stop for at least an hour every morning before school. Breaking myself in gently but I don’t think I’ll see those days again! Right, breakfast next and then off for a couple of hours of quality assurance work over the Olympic Village.

Mottie

Don't take no shoite from those buzzy b@strds!

Worra knob :D

Sponsored Links
Back