What have you been doing today?

They have looked at that. £1700 a week but they are concerned in case the carers turn out to be wrong 'uns!

How can they justify that amount of money? A better arrangement, would be a single person, desperate for a roof over their head.

Sponsored Links
How can they justify that amount of money? A better arrangement, would be a single person, desperate for a roof over their head.
That really would be pot luck Harry - would you like a desperate person caring for you? 24/7 care would drive a single person crackers! When are they supposed to sleep? A permanent 3 person rota system I’d imagine. They looked at getting a career to stay overnight (when she does her wandering) but to get a career to sleep over (through an agency) is £220 a night. The home is slightly cheaper than 24/7 home care and she has company there her own age. Cooking, washing, cleaning, laundry etc all included plus social things to do during the day and the odd outing etc. Only a small home too - 40 residents. We'll just have to see how she gets on but no other viable options anyway.

Sponsored Links
That really would be pot luck Harry - would you like a desperate person caring for you? 24/7 care would drive a single person crackers! When are they supposed to sleep? A permanent 3 person rota system I’d imagine. They looked at getting a career to stay overnight (when she does her wandering) but to get a career to sleep over (through an agency) is £220 a night. The home is slightly cheaper than 24/7 home care and she has company there her own age. Cooking, washing, cleaning, laundry etc all included plus social things to do during the day and the odd outing etc. Only a small home too - 40 residents. We'll just have to see how she gets on but no other viable options anyway.

£1700 per week, is an awful lot of money.. I recently looked at basic career allowance, which is just £68 per week.

There has to be some middle ground, between the two extremes.

I used to know an agency overnight career. I had never heard about such before, so me being me I asked what was involved. They don't do any more than sit there for the night, but get very well paid for it.

Last edited:
£1700 per week, is an awful lot of money.. I recently looked at basic career allowance, which is just £68 per week.

There has to be some middle ground, between the two extremes.

I used to know an agency overnight career. I had never heard about such before, so me being me I asked what was involved. They don't do any more than sit there for the night, but get very well paid for it.
I think if you've no money, it’s paid for by the state. Some money and it can be part funded. She doesn’t fall into either of those categories but at least when you are funding it yourself, you get to choose the care you get. With the other two options, you don’t get much of a choice, if any.

They don't do any more than sit there for the night, but get very well paid for it.

They're "very well paid", as you put it, because:

- they are willing to do what others aren't (just a differing version of "able to do what others aren't") i.e. they're in demand
- they have to on-call to deal with serious issues: just because many hours are uneventful, doesn't mean they are guaranteed to be that way.

It is a lot of money, but 24/7 care costs.

£1700 a week is only a tenner p/h.................
Only? Trouble is, apart from all other household bills when living in your own home, a tenner an hour, every hour, for possibly the next ten years of your life is beyond the reach of most people.

If the agency charges £250, then the carer only gets £100. It's minimum wage.

Only? Trouble is, apart from all other household bills when living in your own home, a tenner an hour, every hour, for possibly the next ten years of your life is beyond the reach of most people.

I meant that if someone was doing it - for a job - they'd only be charging a tenner ph to rack up £1700 pw.

If the agency charges £250, then the carer only gets £100. It's minimum wage.

5 nights, at 10 hours per shift, that's £500, for what was described to me, as just being there and sitting, being ready to dial 999 for help.

Has to be much easier than the day care.

5 nights, at 10 hours per shift, that's £500, for what was described to me, as just being there and sitting, being ready to dial 999 for help.

I think most actually do sleeping shifts. It's a bit more for a waking shift, another £20 from what I recall.

Being up all night on call for £120? No different to a security guard. How much would you do it for? The real rip off is the agency. Some are netting absolutely enormous amounts of profit.

Cleared out the cupboard under the sink.

I replaced my green bin a couple of weeks ago (which lives under the sink). Then I found the new one had exactly the same damage in exactly the same place. I looked closer at the damage and realised it was due to a gnawy furry dude.

So today, we have cleared out the cupboard and I have notched out of bit of wood to fit at the back of the unit to block Mickey, Minnie and their mates off. Any small gaps I'll fill with sealant.

Found some promotional packs of WD40 Lava hand wipes that I bought in 1999!

Still damp and ready to use!

Sponsored Links
Back