What high-flow water softener for unvented system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a hardwater area (Oxford) and have an unvented system (Vaillant boiler, cylinder). We are lucky enough to have 6 bar static pressure, which delivers 35 lpm.

I'd like to have softened water, and have appropriate space in kitchen sink cupboard, with good access (to incoming main/outside tap/kitchen tap) and drainage.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best water softener for 'high flow' systems?

I understand Kinetico are supposed to be excellent, but have read about Kemsing's 'one inch' offering, which claims to deliver up to 80 lpm.

All comments and suggestions gratefully received.

cheers

Sponsored Links
We use TapWorks water softeners.

Be aware that most water softeners have a maximum standing pressure and may ask for a PRV to be fitted in front, this will also present an impediment to flow.

The dynamic flow rate will be altered (ie: dropped) through any water softener due to the pressure loss across the unit.

If money is no object, buy a smaller water softener and fit an accumulator after it. The static pressure of the stored soft water is then unaffected, and all your stored water is pretreated. That is the way I did it in my house and a few others where the addition of a WS would have compromised flow rates.

Thanks for thoughts. I realise from spec sheets that most WS are limited to typically 5bar incoming.

The accumulator is a nice concept but I don't have the space to fit one!

Would you advise your customers to fit a WS to a unvented system without an accumulator?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back