What is a competent person?

riveralt";p="2857500 said:
Any work I do must be tested and certified by a member of one of the recognised schemes or I pay £500+ to notify the work and they send an 'electrician' around to test and certify my work.

Funny that, I just spoke to my LABC, they charge £180 for the notification, but only inspect, no testing. As part of the notification the testing is expected to be done by the DIYer, they MAY only do a limited set of testing. He pretty much spent 30 minutes telling me I should get an electrician to do the work.

I'm planning on doing a full rewire myself, I am not an electrician. However, I can read and understand the regulations, despite the fact they are over complicated, and as far as I am concerned, not clearly defined enough. There is too much room for interpretation for my liking, holes in legislation lead to accidents, bad practice, and should anything go to court, enough for the lawyers to grab hold of to potentially get someone guilty off the hook.

Sponsored Links
I can read and understand the regulations, despite the fact they are over complicated, and as far as I am concerned, not clearly defined enough.

I am not picking at you, but can you specify which regulations you find are over complicated.

Are you taking about the Wiring Regulations (B7671), Building Regulations (Part P e.g.), EAWR, which?.

In my experience, I have found that there is confusion and lack of understanding about these, how they relate to each other, and what they mean to us. That may mean that they not really complicated, or defined. Its knowing how they fit together.

As you will see from the above, there is confusion about the Statutory Instrument of Part P as legal entity, and the notification process.

I can read and understand the regulations, despite the fact they are over complicated, and as far as I am concerned, not clearly defined enough.

I am not picking at you, but can you specify which regulations you find are over complicated.

Are you taking about the Wiring Regulations (B7671), Building Regulations (Part P e.g.), EAWR, which?.

In my experience, I have found that there is confusion and lack of understanding about these, how they relate to each other, and what they mean to us. That may mean that they not really complicated, or defined. Its knowing how they fit together.

As you will see from the above, there is confusion about the Statutory Instrument of Part P as legal entity, and the notification process.

BS7671 in this specific instance, but as you say, there is a lot of inter relation between the standards that cause confusion, and are all open to a level of interpretation which unfortunately not everyone sees the same way, which leads to both confusion and in some cases misinformation.

Sponsored Links
OK - which of the regulations in BS 7671 with which you will be complying when you do your complete rewire do you think are over-complicated?

I can read and understand the regulations, despite the fact they are over complicated, and as far as I am concerned, not clearly defined enough. There is too much room for interpretation for my liking, holes in legislation lead to accidents, bad practice, and should anything go to court, enough for the lawyers to grab hold of to potentially get someone guilty off the hook.
Bear in mind that BS7671 ia a standard, not legislation. The use of the word "regulations" in the title leads a lot of people to believe they are statutory. Many years ago I believe the sub-title was something along the lines of "Regulations for electrical engineers", and that compliance with them was a requisite of continued membership of the IEE.

To return to the original question, the word "competent has 2 meanings; see the extract from the Concise Oxford Dictionary:
competent
n adjective
1 having the necessary ability or knowledge to do something successfully. >acceptable and satisfactory: he spoke quite competent French.
2 (of a court or other body) having legal authority to deal with a particular matter.

Many people consider themselves competent, in that they can make an acceptable job of something, but they are not 'competent persons' in that they do not have legal authority to do so. The use of 'competent' in the Competent Persons Schemes, is in the sense of the second definition given above.
Unfortunately sometimes people get upset at the suggestion that they are not competent, believing the suggestion to be that they cannot do something (be it a complete rewire, or changing a fuse) successfully, when what is actually meant is that however clever they are, they don't have authority to do whatever it is.

To return to the original question, the word "competent has 2 meanings; see the extract from the Concise Oxford Dictionary: competent n adjective
1 having the necessary ability or knowledge to do something successfully. >acceptable and satisfactory: he spoke quite competent French.
2 (of a court or other body) having legal authority to deal with a particular matter.

Many people consider themselves competent, in that they can make an acceptable job of something, but they are not 'competent persons' in that they do not have legal authority to do so. The use of 'competent' in the Competent Persons Schemes, is in the sense of the second definition given above.
Indeed. However, the impression I got was that the OP was asking about 'competence' in the sense of the first definition - e.g. in relation to the ability to satisfy Part P of the Building Regs (albeit Part P does not use the word 'competent'), which does not require satisfaction of the second definition.

Kind Regards, John

Perhaps. I had the impression that the OP was confusing the 2 meanings of the word.
I'm still inclined to my interpretation. If you look carefully at the OP, it starts by suggesting that Part P requires work to be undertaken by a 'competent' person (which, as I said, and as BAS pointed out on Page 1, it doesn't!), and then goes to to ask only one actual question, namely:
So I am certainly certainly not competent to install a consumer unit or anything like that I know about 10% of what an electrician would know, but does that legally make me incompetent to change a light switch?
... which I don't think had anything to do with membership of a Competent Persons Scheme (or self-certification). Mind you, I've been known to interpret questioins incorrectly :)

Kind Regards, John

In Building Regulations terms, which I think is what you are asking, it needs to be a person who is a member of a Competent Persons Scheme.

Once you realise that they are asking for Membership, and not Competence, it becomes clearer.

Being an incompetent half-wit who is a member of a scheme, and scraped through the rudimentary exam with luck and guesswork meets their standard.

Or being employed by such a half-wit, as it is the business which is registered with the schemes, not the individual operatives.

Even notifiable work doesn't have to be undertaken by a member of a Competent Person's Scheme, but must be done by a person 'competent' to do it in accordance with part P.
That is my point - this no longer applies to two Local Authority Building Control Offices I have spoken to - Up until last year I was a member of NAPIT and had been for a number of years -
To the LABC that 'recognised' level of competence no longer applies and I cannot do notifiable work.
Any work I do must be tested and certified by a member of one of the recognised schemes or I pay £500+ to notify the work and they send an 'electrician' around to test and certify my work.
Are you saying that NAPIT is not an acceptable competent person scheme. (to those local authorities) It is still listed in the current schemes list.

Are you saying that NAPIT is not an acceptable competent person scheme. (to those local authorities) It is still listed in the current schemes list.
No NAPIT is acceptable to all LABC - but the issue is one of competence.
My point is that on the 30th September 2012 I was classed as a competent person and yet on the 1st October 2012 when I stopped being a member of NAPIT I was not.

I read this

Up until last year I was a member of NAPIT

to mean "am no longer a member"

therefore implies no longer a member of a competent persons scheme

therefore no longer meets the "Member of a Competent Persons Scheme" criterion.

Wr have already established that being competent is not the same as being a Member of a Competent Person Scheme.

Even notifiable work doesn't have to be undertaken by a member of a Competent Person's Scheme, but must be done by a person 'competent' to do it in accordance with part P.
That is my point - this no longer applies to two Local Authority Building Control Offices I have spoken to - Up until last year I was a member of NAPIT and had been for a number of years - To the LABC that 'recognised' level of competence no longer applies and I cannot do notifiable work.
No, he clearly wasn't saying that - NAPIT remains as one of the main schemes. What he said, I thought very clearly, is that he ceased to be a member of NAPIT lats year (I think because he 'retired') and therefore is no longer regarded by LABC as being a member of a competent person's scheme (because he isn't!).

I sympathise with riveralt, and others in a similar position, in as much as he is obviously no less competent (in everyday sense) now than he was when he was a member of the NAPIT scheme last year. However, and this is the point which has been discussed, whether or not one can self-certify does not depend just upon how competent (everyday sense) one is but, rather, whether one is a 'paid up member' of a competent person's scheme.

It's the same in many professions. A doctor who doesn't pay his annual fee to the GMC doesn't suddenly become 'less competent', but cannot work as a 'registered medical practioner'.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back