What is a good cycle time and return temperature for system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having sorted out my control problems by fitting a Satronic replacement for my failed and obsolete Danfoss box on my Monoflame Minor 1 pressurejet Kero boiler (with help and advice from this forum) - I have been playing with the setup after adding a couple of radiators.

I have a woodburner in parallel with the oiler and that behaves well either thermosyphon or pumped, and either on it's own or in parallel with the Oiler.

The Oiler runs up when timer calls it to help the Woody - starting out running for about 6 minutes then off for about 4, and when it has boosted the system to my modest set temperature of about 65Deg C out and 45Deg C return (no room stats just thermostatic rad valves) it settles down to about 4 minutes running to 6 minutes off. In other words about six starts an hour overall.

This keeps the main areas of the house comfortable with the Woody providing a fair amount of radiant and convected heat.

My questions are :-

Is 6 starts an hour a decent regime for the Oiler?

and:-

Is my chosen return temperature of 45Deg C too low? I know I can get much more performance from the radiators when I want it by running hotter but am I hurting anything by running so cool normally - I am a bit puzzled by a clause in the boiler 10 year heat exchanger Warranty that says "providing the boiler has not been operated with a return water temp of less than 57DegC" - which I have ignored for the last 15 years!!!!!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back