What is causing damp around my window?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What could be causing this damp around my window reveal and on the wall above the window?

We noticed the window reveals had signs of damp when we bought the house and the survey suggested replacing the window.

We have had the window replaced 8 months ago, had new soffits, fascia and guttering, however the problem still persists.

What else could be causing this damp?
PXL_20231221_130046442.jpg
PXL_20231221_130137263.jpg
PXL_20231221_130744085.jpg

Sponsored Links
Could be roof leak. Should check loft for damaged felt at the edge. Phone on stick will let you take pictures easier.

Sponsored Links
Given where the moisture is appearing, I'd hazard a roof problem. Looks like rain might be running down the inside of the cavity rather than blown through gaps in the sealant. When the soffits and facias were replaced, where the old ones removed or were the new ones just nailed over?

Given where the moisture is appearing, I'd hazard a roof problem. Looks like rain might be running down the inside of the cavity rather than blown through gaps in the sealant. When the soffits and facias were replaced, where the old ones removed or were the new ones just nailed over?
The old fascias and soffits were removed and replaced. They weren't capped over.

This issue was happening prior to the fascias and soffits being replaced.

The old fascias and soffits were removed and replaced. They weren't capped over.

This issue was happening prior to the fascias and soffits being replaced.

I'm still gonna say roof leak. If you're feeling adventurous, get up into the attic and into the eves when it's chucking it down and see if you can spot rain tracking down a roof truss. Often that leak is way higher up than you first thought.

Water can get in anywhere. It just likes to follow the easiest route out. If getting water above the window , especially at ceiling height ( so more than likely above lintel) , then it is not the window . You had soffits and gutters replaced, did they ensure the existing felt was outside the new fascias ? Personally is suspect a roof issue
And why did you only have that bit of fascia /soffit replaced above the window, why not replace the entire length? Looks odd

Water can get in anywhere. It just likes to follow the easiest route out. If getting water above the window , especially at ceiling height ( so more than likely above lintel) , then it is not the window . You had soffits and gutters replaced, did they ensure the existing felt was outside the new fascias ? Personally is suspect a roof issue
And why did you only have that bit of fascia /soffit replaced above the window, why not replace the entire length? Looks odd
I used a reputable company so I can only guess they installed correctly. It is a semi detached property the entire perimeter of the roof had soffit and fascias changed. You can see the neighbours old fascia/soffits to the right.

I'm thinking the issue is condensation around the window reveal. The issue above the window at ceiling height I suspect is due to inadequate loft insulation causing a cold spot which is causing condensation drops on the ceiling which then trickle down the wall as seen in the pictures.

I have a roofer coming to inspect in a week's time

I'm still gonna say roof leak. If you're feeling adventurous, get up into the attic and into the eves when it's chucking it down and see if you can spot rain tracking down a roof truss. Often that leak is way higher up than you first thought.
Roof ridge tiles were repointed when the soffits were done. 3 roof tiles were also replaced during this as the roofer saw they were cracked. So id like to think theres not any more damaged tiles.

As mentioned above,
"I'm thinking the issue is condensation around the window reveal. The issue above the window at ceiling height I suspect is due to inadequate loft insulation causing a cold spot which is causing condensation drops on the ceiling which then trickle down the wall as seen in the pictures."

I'm going to look in the attic the next time it rains, however will be difficult to get to the eaves due to no loft boards and low pitch

Sorry was just looking at the picture when I mentioned the fascia. Is the property only ' 1 window wide ' ?
It could well be condensation but I'd be surprised if that around lower corners is, looks more like ingress and if it was it would certainly be more noticeable in wet weather

Going back to Ronnies suggestion about the felt that would be my first port of call, get up a ladder and slide some random tiles up to see if any original bitumen type roof felt has rotted and fallen behind the fascia and water is now sitting on top of the soffit and draining backwards over the window. That said any reputable installer would have also fitted eaves guards to counter this, you can easily see them overlapped into the gutter if you get up a ladder. However your side might be totally fine and the problem COULD be with next doors felt, the water could be running along the top of their soffits onto yours if the fall is that way, that needs investigating

Sorry was just looking at the picture when I mentioned the fascia. Is the property only ' 1 window wide ' ?
It could well be condensation but I'd be surprised if that around lower corners is, looks more like ingress and if it was it would certainly be more noticeable in wet weather
One Window at the back and 2 window wide at the front.
Going back to Ronnies suggestion about the felt that would be my first port of call, get up a ladder and slide some random tiles up to see if any original bitumen type roof felt has rotted and fallen behind the fascia and water is now sitting on top of the soffit and draining backwards over the window. That said any reputable installer would have also fitted eaves guards to counter this, you can easily see them overlapped into the gutter if you get up a ladder. However your side might be totally fine and the problem COULD be with next doors felt, the water could be running along the top of their soffits onto yours if the fall is that way, that needs investigating
When the soffits and fascia were replaced, eaves trays were fitted so I imagine this won't be the issue?

That's an excellent suggestion regarding next doors felt. They have the original asbestos soffits and timber fascias so their felt may well be perished. We share gutters and my property has the downpipes so the fall is my way. I will mention this to the roofer when he comes next week

If the roofer removes a few of your tiles and peeks under the felt you may be able to see tell tale dirty water marks on top of the soffit, if its coming from next door I'd either try and apply a big thick bead of silicone along the top of the soffit at the joint and let them keep their rain water or put a few soffit vents in near the join to let the water out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back