What is 'hot water priority'?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is ‘hot water priority’ and is what type of job is it normally used on? Is it relatively simple to add this ‘feature’ to the system?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hot water priority, if there is a demand for hot water & heating, the hot water is heated first.

What I have in my house is heating priority & if i want the water i just turn the central heating stat down. works for me.

The most obvious use of 'hot water priority' is in combi boilers. This means once a flow sensor detects a demand for water (tap opening) it diverts this flow to the heat exchanger (secondary) and shuts off the flow of water on the heating side. So the boiler is now heating hot water rather than radiators

Sponsored Links
What is the mechanics of how it works, I assume there is a valve which divert it to the cylinder, but im not sure. Is it generally used for jobs with high HW demand.

it just gives priority to hot water over heating when both are calling or required at the same time. so not a good idea in a large household in cold weather! that's why the 3 port mid position or 2 x two port valves are more popular than the old 3 port diverter valve that always gave hot water priority.

on open vented systems: you could have a smaller size boiler with an old 3 port diverter valve as the boiler only had to cater for the heating side and not the possibility of both heating and hot water demands on together. other than that there is no real advantage of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back