What is meant by the term 'dry lining'?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We purchased a new top floor flat a few months ago and during the recent cold weather have experienced major condensation problems, with water running down walls and windows, and coming through ceilings and light fittings. This is due to insufficient ventilation of the flat roof above, which the builders have now addressed by fitting additional ventilation holes in the soffit overhang. However, we are left with damaged ceilings and walls which now need to be repaired. The builder is due to start remedial work on Wednesday and originally told us he would be drylining before redecorating. Our understanding was that this would involve replacing damaged areas of plasterboard, then re-skimming the whole ceiling/walls with plaster, but we are now told that they will simply be using a drylining compound, and only for the affected areas, not the whole ceilings and walls. Is this the usual way of repairing damaged ceilings and walls? :confused:

Sponsored Links
It is on a tape and fill job, alot of new builds are done in this way as it is cheaper and quicker (in as much as decoration can commence sooner)

Dry lining relates to the use of plasterboard rather than conventional base coat (either render or plaster) & a finish plaster skim but dry lining can still involve solid block work walls & a finish skim; what your builder is proposing is to tape & fill the dry lining boards. If the original was like that, you cant really expect him to do any more than repair the damage to the same standard but if the original was plaster skimmed, tell him to take a hike & that you want it reinstated as the original finish & you don’t want to see the join! Do you not have insurance? You may be better off getting them involved as you’re quiet entitled to have the repairs done to original specification.

IMO, tape & fill is total crap, even more so if not done correctly which it usually isn't! Many large/budget new builds are done using this method but it’s cheap & nasty; personally I wouldn't consider buying a property dry lined let alone one with internal stud walls.

Sponsored Links
The flat is a new build so all of this remedial and redecoration work is being carried out by the developer, at no cost to us. I don't know what method was used for the ceilings etc. but all I can say is that it was all finished to a very high standard and we definitely couldn't see any joins in any of the walls or ceilings. There has been an acknowledgement of the fact that insufficient roof ventilation has caused a build up of condensation, plus the fact that the mechanical air circulation/ventilation system within the flats may have been switched off when it should be left running permanently. Our flat was bought as an investment and we have a tenant renting it from us, which of course is extremely embarrassing, although he is being very patient and understanding (and not jumping up and down asking for a rebate at this stage). The walls and ceilings appear to have dried out quite well now, with the help of heating being on 24/7 for the past month and window vents being left open. We wonder if the developer complied with building regs regarding the roof, but how can we find out? If this is the case, maybe we can claim compensation, not so much for us, but for our tenant who is now putting up with the disruption and mess of sorting it all out. Every ceiling and wall in the flat (plus three other flats) is affected, and we just want them to get it back to the new condition we bought it, not a botch up job. :(

If it was a new development then more than likely it was tape and join, if you are curious you can unscrew a pendant or light switch and see if there is pink plaster behind or plasterboard / thin coat greyish white plaster there. The later is an indication of tape and join, it's nothing to worry about, although it doesn't age well, the tapes will come away in the future no doubt, it's frowned upon by plasterers. It's no secret that I used to tape and join everything I did until I learned to plaster (which I only had to do out of necessity as I am renovating my first family home and wanted a durable finish) and the results I used to get were very good.

Even if it was tape and join method, what would you suggest is the best way to deal with a ceiling/walls that have been water damaged? The ceilings in particular have some holes (smallish) and significant staining/cracks, and because the damp is from above, pretty much every ceiling is affected in the flat, and most walls. The resident in the next door flat had part of his bedroom ceiling fall down, so he is in a worse situation than us. In addition, the outer hallway and communal area on the whole of the second (top) floor has been affected, so this is all going to have to be repaired and redecorated, but our main concern is to make sure that our flat is habitable and back to the brand new condition in which we purchased back in August.

Tape and fill to repair tape and fill. Bear in mind that tape and fill does a good job of also repairing cracks in skim plaster. Keep an eye on the ceilings in the place, as it stands they could have alot of wet rockwool above them. Watch the ceiling doesn't start sagging between the joists, if it does get straight back on to the developers at the earliest chance.

Thanks for that. The work is starting tomorrow and we are going over in the afternoon to see what they are actually doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back