What is the best thing to Damp proof my cellar...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a basement that I would like to use for storing loads of tools and other clutter using shelvings, but unfortunately the rear and the front walls are damp due to the soil behind these brick wall, though there is no direct rain water penetration into the soil as the outside surface is paved or concreted, but the soil would remain moist no matter how long or how many years you take.

So is there any way I can prevent this damp from the soil penetrating through the final surafce of the wall?

Is there any special coating that can resist perforation, that is easy to apply to the plaster on the wall, which has already perforated in many places.

Sponsored Links
Check out Cellarcote by Sealocrete! No good for going onto plaster though! Im thinking it's render in the basement anyway, as long it's well bonded to the brick u can just paint it on 2 coats, it's better than any bitumen rubbish outhere. I have used this on a few occasions and never had any problems.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I will definitely look into this, not sure where I would get it from, may be B&Q or Wickes might stock them,

Are there any special water proof boarding materials that can be screwed to thid damp wall and then plastered over, with the edges sealed in some way using bitumen based paint or sealants?

U cant get this from any diy store. If you contact sealocrete they should be able to tell u a a supplier. U cant make any holes through this once its been applied u can dab on pladterboard after, preferably moisture resistant. Where in london

Sponsored Links
Are there any special water proof boarding materials that can be screwed to thid damp wall and then plastered over, with the edges sealed in some way using bitumen based paint or sealants?
Do a search on Damp Proof Basement Cellar Tanking Mesh Membrane or Tanking cellar kit ;)

Take a look at Restoration uk web site they have membrane that you fix to the wall with special plugs then you can re-plaster board on top.

What I had in my own mind was to first staple a roofing type felt on the wall,
and apply thick sealant along any overlap joints and edges, and then using thick marine ply screw it on to the wall through the felt, yes you may possibly get damp making its way through the screw holes, in my opinion this would be a very slight next to nothing, I might inject the water proof sealant into each hole that is drilled for screwing the board, this should prevent most of the damp trying to emerge from the screw holes.

this is something I have never tried but feel comfirtable that it is within my capabilities and might work, as long as the bricks are solid and don't crack up when drilling to take screws.

Afterwards, just a direct coat of water proof paint in light colour on the ply would be sufficient as it doesn't need to be totally smooth or cosmetically good looking, more of a practical approach.

I did paint some sort of water proofing pain, it was black bitumen based, and after a couple of years the cement on the wall has started to perforate and is now looking quite ugly.

The reason I suggested this solution is because i have 4 8x4 foot plywood boards that my neighbor wanted to get rid of and i can make a good use of them, all i really need is the felt and screws and the sealant or mastic.

Any thought on this are welcome, obviously it is not a tried and tested solution as far as I know.

I have deleted the contents of my thread as it appears you completely ignored it anyway. Good luck waterproofing your cellar with some felt.

freddymercurystwin";p="2280812 said:
I have deleted the contents of my thread as it appears you completely ignored it anyway. Good luck waterproofing your cellar with some felt.[/quote
Good! :rolleyes:

Mike, u will be wasting your time with your method! So many reasons why it wont work! Please take any of the advice offered

handyman77";p="2280827 said:
I have deleted the contents of my thread as it appears you completely ignored it anyway. Good luck waterproofing your cellar with some felt.[/quote
Good! :rolleyes:

Mike, u will be wasting your time with your method! So many reasons why it wont work! Please take any of the advice offered

I didn't know you were overly sensitive, lots of people (Builder's merchants) actually suggested that i line up the walls with 30mm thermal insulating boards, the thermal coating also acts as a water proof as it is made of some water repellant material, these are sold for about £13 quid plus vat per peice, 8x4, just screw it in I was told.

I therefore thought why not utilise the 3/4" thick ply my neighbour wants to get rid of, he has offered these to me for free!

However, I have clearly not decided for sure which route I am going to have to take, I have been looking at all the options, obviously I would take one that is more convinient and reliable. but rather unfortunately due to your sensitivity, you decieded to deleted your post I would say it was not for a good reason, as you said Wickes or B&Q don't sell that stuff and I will have to approach the manufacturere directly to see who stocks it and how much will it cost, and you had not mentioned how I would apply it to a damp perforated wall.

this is where I am a little stuck and undecided, i.e. how easy is it to apply, will I spend my money and then find that it won't cling on. I hope you see my point, I am scared to spend money on a stuff that might be ok to paint on when the walls are relatively dry, but will it stick on an already damp wall?

there is a big difference between things that are water resistant meaning they are not degraded by contact with water and things that are waterproof meaning they will resist the passage of water 100%

The talk of insulation boards being waterproof and suitable as a replacement for tanking is total nonsense and i can hardly believe anyone telling you that, do not approach said people for advice again.

Proper tanking membranes are the most full proof method but are more expensive than the cement based slurrys or any paint on solution.

For a habitable room you probably need to tank it but for just storage the paint on solutions might be ok. preparation is the key.

lots of people (Builder's merchants) actually suggested that i line up the walls with 30mm thermal insulating boards, the thermal coating also acts as a water proof as it is made of some water repellant material, these are sold for about £13 quid plus vat per peice, 8x4, just screw it in I was told.
This is just as stupid as lining the walls with felt! :LOL:

r896neo, thank you for your advice too, I have been looking on Google with regards to tanking it up, as you said if it is for habitaion, then of course one would need to go through all the necessary steps to enusre it is totally sealed and dry for habitation.

It is infact for storing hundreds of my tools that I have ended up collecting over the years. the wall is kind of semi-dry, its been 10 years since a new drainage was installed. the old cracked clay drains had been allowing the waste water from a bathroom and rain water to seep through the cracked clay pipes directly into the celler, this is what made the soil damp, but since the new drains installed 10 years ago, its been drying all that time now but if I paint this wall with special damp resistant paint, it works for a while, it howver perforate in a couple of years time. so now I am looking for a more permanent solution.

I think you will find my idea I suggested using roofing felt and plywood screwed onto the wall is quite similar in principle to tanking it up, i suggested using a rtoofing felt, again thats because I have several rolls lying around!

I think you will find my idea I suggested using roofing felt and plywood screwed onto the wall is quite similar in principle to tanking it up, i suggested using a rtoofing felt, again thats because I have several rolls lying around!

mutley_120_120_256_9223372036854775000_0_1_0.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back