What is the point of having a

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the point of having a sat nav if you cant use the b***y thing?

A bloke (English) has traveled from the west coast of Ireland to collect something from us this morning at 9am. He's just rung to say I'm almost in Cambridge but cant find you, well he wouldn't as we're an hour further north straddling the Norfolk border :rolleyes:

Me"what postcode have you entered?"
don't know how to enter postcodes.

Me "what address have you entered?"
Cambridge!
FFS :rolleyes:

He's a kin courier driver :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I don't have one myself, but often have customers asking for the post code, so they can find the company office, there are a few that are directed to a field about 6 miles away.
Route finder and a road map for me ;)

I don't have one myself, but often have customers asking for the post code, so they can find the company office, there are a few that are directed to a field about 6 miles away.
Route finder and a road map for me ;)

Totally agree, have a look at a map before you set off and plan your route - if you're looking for a particular address, have a look on google and print out a detailed map of the area - you can even use street view to look what the Chinese Take-away on the junction at the top of the road is called so you can keep an eye out for that when you arrrive.

I took my mum to my sister's new house in Leeds a few weeks ago - planned my route beforehand and when we came off the motorway at Leeds, she started up, "this isn't the way the SatNav usually sends me", when we found my sister's place (I drove straight there despite having never been before) Mum admitted the route I took was quicker and easier than the route her SatNav sent her on.

It amazes me that using a mobile while driving is now illegal, but playing with a SatNav (many of which seem to be stuck to the windscreen these days, obscuring the drivers view and distracting their attention) is not illegal?

Nokia Ovi maps, not found anything wrong with it yet, except when its not on charge, very short (3hrs) time available

Sponsored Links
Best thing about sat nav's are the speed camera locations. Worst thing is the need to constantly update maps (at a cost) and their usefulness in city centres with tall buildings. I always start losing the satellite signals in city centres with tall buildings. London especially is a nightmare.

have a look on google and print out a detailed map of the area - you can even use street view to look what the Chinese Take-away on the junction at the top of the road is called so you can keep an eye out for that when you arrrive.

i agree that street veiw is brilliant but not infalable
i live at no4 the picture off my house says outside 27!!

Best thing about sat nav's are the speed camera locations. Worst thing is the need to constantly update maps (at a cost) and their usefulness in city centres with tall buildings. I always start losing the satellite signals in city centres with tall buildings. London especially is a nightmare.

Yeah i've experienced this too - in Liverpool with some friends and we were looking for somewhere in three seperate cars - we had no SatNav, the other two did have. They couldn't get a signal though so we said we'd go ahead and they could follow us - we found the place before they finally got a signal on the SatNav!

Big-all - any idea how that happened? Was some scroat playing tricks with your house numbers when he saw the google camera car coming?

Big-all - any idea how that happened? Was some scroat playing tricks with your house numbers when he saw the google camera car coming?

nowt so tecnical
its the caption on the picture says somthing like "veiw from outside off no 27" :D

not had any problems with my satnav in town, and in the countryside, its the same as google maps/routefinders, where it takes you to the wrong end of a postcode of what, in the country, could be a VERY long road.

and mines a cheepie binatone...

sounds like you have a Large User (non-geographic) post cide

these are issued by the post office to businesses that have lot of mail so it gets sorted into a separate sack or bundle, they tend to issue whatever postcode is in that general area and happens to be spare.

Interestingly (?) some places in the middle of fields do have postcode; by request they can be issued to things like Utility Cabins, as postcodes are so widely used in the UK for identification.

Interestingly (?) some places in the middle of fields do have postcode; by request they can be issued to things like Utility Cabins, as postcodes are so widely used in the UK for identification.

yes i know of a polytunnel in a large field near here in the middle of nowhere that has its own postcode.

Well he got here eventually :LOL:
He wanted to go to Telford next so I set his sat nav up for him, the thing even speaks to you as you do it so I cant see how he couldn't do it.

Our home postcode takes you to a farm building, google earth/maps takes you about half a mile away but at least it's the right country lane just the wrong house.

I use my sat nav all the time now but check the route first with GM.

yes i know of a polytunnel in a large field near here in the middle of nowhere that has its own postcode.

what's her name?? Purely for research, of course.

Any of you have a Ford with a wire-heated windscreen? If so you will get a weaker signal / less satellites than in a car without. The fine wires in the screen play havoc with the sat nav signal pickup.

nowt so tecnical
its the caption on the picture says somthing like "veiw from outside off no 27" :D

Is no. 27 across the street? Maybe the view from outside no. 27 is the front of your house!

Sponsored Links
Back