What is the purpose of miscoat on new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently had a ceiling skimmed to cover up artex. I painted the ceiling today with matt emulsion (not diluted) and it went on fine.

I mentioned that I had painted the ceiling to a friend and he said i should have painted the ceiling with a mixture of diluted paint with 50% water. He said the paint would flake off because the miscoat was help adhesion to the new plaster.

Is this correct and I will now have problems with the paint flaking in a few months/years time because i forgot to miscoat it.

Sponsored Links
Maybe, the watered down version heps to soak in to the new plaster to give it a good foundation. but i wouldnt worry too much i done my lining room without watering down about 2 years ago and it is solid !!

Because I've already done the first coat with non-watered down matt emulsion, is there any point in watering down subsequent coats or should I just carry on with the normal paint now.

Sponsored Links
Not that i am disagreeing with u "offtnet". However, ya really need to know the make & instructions of the matt used. Also, short term, yes, there will be no problem with your cieling. However, longer term then there may probs with future coatings or when applying wallpaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back