What is this alarm wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved into a new flat and inherited parts of an old wired alarm system.

This controller is on the wall, but when I test the wires the power appears to be dead.

What would these wires usually supply? Not 240v? Typically, where should I expect them to connect to?

Can I use this wiring to upgrade an install a new alarm? Should I try and resuscitate the old one?

20160315_225133.jpg 20160315_225141.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like a Scantronic 9448ES or similar... This is just the keypad. There will be a panel (the main control box) somewhere. It could be a white metal box about 30cm square and 7cm thick or a plasic box with a similar keypad on it. It will probably be in a cupboard somewhere, possibly near the outside bell or the inside speaker. It could be in the airing cupboard or near your fuse box.

This alarm is pretty basic but you could try resurrecting it first - it probably just needs power and a new battery. Find the panel, open it up to get the model number and Google the handbook. You will probably need to default the panel and reprogram it from scratch (but it shouldn't take too long). You can almost certainly use the wiring for a new alarm, if you want.

Thanks. I have purchased a new system, which required 12V / 500mA. Do you think I could use the existing in-wall lighting to carry this load?

Yes, but... Why don't you put the new control panel in the same position as the old one and use the existing fused spur to provide the mains. Then you can use the existing wiring to the keypad and detectors/PIRs.

Running alarms from lighting circuits is not "best practice".

Sponsored Links
@EightyTwo - this is the original alarm wire to the control panel, not a lighting circuit. The other end originally just terminates elsewhere in the house, which is near a socket (no longer has an appliance on the end). I was going to wire it to the 12V adapter that came in the kit and then plug it in.

Please can you provide more info on what you are trying to do, it is confusing.
The pic at the top is a remote keypad. The cable (small wires) will have been something like 12v DC and data. There should be no mains electric anywhere near this small cable, lighting or otherwise.
The other end of this small cable will/would have terminated in a control box for the alarm system, along with the other wires for the bell box, PIRs, switches, telephone dialer etc. The control box needs a permanent mains supply and has a battery backup.
What make and model new system do you have?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back