What is this and why?!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

First post and hoping for a bit of help if possible please. Doing a bit of refurbishment on a 1930s flat we just moved into. The external walls in two of the bedrooms are lined with this fibrous board which have then been beautifully covered in woodchip paper.

You can't take the paper off the board which is a PITA to say the least so the board needs to come off.

Main question is why is it there in the first place?! Rudimentary insulation? The walls are solid brick so that may have some merit although the rest of the external walls don't have it.

It's about 15mm deep and mounted on 10mm batons which seem in good nick. The plaster under isn't in bad order either. I think I'll have to tear this stuff out and reboard with drywall since the heating pipes etc are mounted over this stuff. Does that seem like the only option?

Cheers

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_20151228_183334.jpg
    IMG_20151228_183334.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 215
Sponsored Links
It looks like a form of particle board.....cheap and has some slight insulating qualities which I guess which is why it was used.
I'd take it off, and consider filling in between the uprights with some make of slab insulation - kingspan or whatever. It could be an idea to use a minimum of 30mm insulation though, to make it worthwhile. After that, its plasterboard plus a skim or whatever.
John :)

It looks like the stuff you make pin boards out of.

Sponsored Links
Thanks chaps, a weekend of smashing it all off and replacing with plasterboard should do the trick!

Might take the opportunity to run in the electrics/sockets too if there's enough depth.

Cheers

Looks like it could be Stramet Board very popular for cheap light weight boarding for insulation in the 1950`s ( A natural Product compressed into panels)

If you break it up and chuck it outside in the garden make sure it doesnt get wet, when wet the size increases, one panel when wet could fill a barn !!! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back