what is this material?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have moved house and I was clearing out the garage that the last owner had left and behind the wood I found a small pannel, white in colour and with a brown material inside that looks like fibre. I thought it could be asbestos insulation board. I have attached a picture so you can see

Thank you

Sponsored Links
softboard is soft and white on the face hardboard is hard

Sponsored Links
softboard is soft and white on the face hardboard is hard

I have been looking for pictures of soft and hard board but I can't seem to find any that show the fibres like in the picture. Is the fibre just wood or does it have asbestos in it?

It's just glorified cardboard. There's no asbestos in that.. You'll find the same thing at the back of every kitchen cupboard.

i do not think it is softboard i know it is softboard years ago buildings were full of it.

no i do not think it is softboard it is softboard and there is no asbestos in it

Softboard – The surface texture for unfaced natural panels is open and fibrous. Paper-faced
or fine pulp overlaid softboard have smooth or lightly dimpled faces, or a slight mesh pattern
on one or both sides. The colour of most boards is various shades of light brown, others are
cream or off-white. Some panels are covered with a white primer or bleached pulp for painting.
Softboards with enhanced durability and moisture resistance are produced. Currently these
enhanced properties are imparted by impregnating the fibres with a bitumen emulsion; a spray
coating on one or both surfaces may also be applied. The same characteristics can be imparted
with the inclusion of phenolic resins. Typical bitumen impregnated panels are dark brown to
black in colour.

also known as fiberboard

paper and cardboard are made from wood, softboard is like cardboard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back