What is this pipe/vent above my boiler

Sponsored Links
I have had a look and I'm fairly certain that my boiler has a fairly large vent coming out the back and venting out the back wall. Is there a way I can test this, for example if u run my heating will I see any gases exhaust out of it? Also, as I said all I have in the house is gas boiler and cooker and hot water cylinder so if it is not connected to any of these is it safe to say it's not in use?

Definitely looks like the pipe in the roof is the same cut pipe in the boiler cupboard. Can't say for absolute certain but it looks that way. Also it seems my boiler is vented from the back and straight out the house, see pic below for space behind boiler cupboard.
It's fair to say I hit the panic button about this earlier! I do have 3 carbon monoxide detectors in the house so I suppose 1nkf these would have activated by now if this had been dislodged for the last 6 months

Attachments

• 20161017_192244.jpg
    20161017_192244.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 133
I have had a look and I'm fairly certain that my boiler has a fairly large vent coming out the back and venting out the back wall. Is there a way I can test this, for example if u run my heating will I see any gases exhaust out of it? Also, as I said all I have in the house is gas boiler and cooker and hot water cylinder so if it is not connected to any of these is it safe to say it's not in use?
Yes you can run your boiler and look at the flue outside. The old pipe in question is hanging above your hot water cylinder. In any event your gas boiler should be serviced annually by a Gas Safe engineer.

Sponsored Links
Thanks nigel, yeah I have British gas home care so get a service each year, iv only been in the house 6 months but an engineer did visit when I took the cover out

If you have a gas fire in the house you could turn that on
give it five min and then go up and check if any heat is coming out.

Sorry, that is poor, unsafe advice to give the OP.

Buy a pack of smoke bombs and light one under the disconnected flue above the cylinder. That will show if it is definitely disconnected. Might be a tad smelly. Use a tin can to hold it in.

Guys guys guys, reality check; you're going round in circles just speculating.

It's the flue from an old hot air system boiler. They went up through the house, and when you take them out, you end up with a small cupboard space that the tanks gone into.

Guys guys guys, reality check; you're going round in circles just speculating.

It's the flue from an old hot air system boiler. They went up through the house, and when you take them out, you end up with a small cupboard space that the tanks gone into.

Oh yeah I see it clearly now from 200 miles away!
Just crack on OP. your wife,and kids dying means nothing to me, sorry for your loss.
Doggies public liability insurance will cover your costs.

@Mmcgar , the best advice I could give is call your local friendly BG gas guy out tomorrow and get them to confirm for you. Just mention that you've found a flue that seems to have come away and can they come and do a safety check please, just in case it's to do with your boiler. If you have any doubts, don't use the heating in the house until they've checked.

To make better use of the visit call the engineer to do a service on the boiler.

Use his visit to ask about the old flue.

Unlikely to be relevant now so better removed.

Tony

Thanks everyone for your help, I'm pretty sure that the vent in the loft is the cut pipe in the boiler cupboard. My wife and daughter are on holiday at the moment so luckily I don't have to worry about them being in the house. I'll try and do some further testing tomorrow, it definitely looks like the boiler vents from the rear directly through another cupboard and out the back of the house, I intend to run the boiler tomorrow and check for gases exhausting from this.
I will post an update once I have done this, lm genuinely grateful for all the advice tonight, I purposely don't go near anything to do with gas as I am extremely unqualified for it! Hence my knowledge in this area is minimal to say the least. I did notice this vent being loose 6 months ago when wet bought the house but didn't think much of it at the time, I'm sure that had CO been venting into the house at least 1 of my detectors would've picked it up!

Agree with Doggit that isn't any flue from a boiler fitted within the last 16 years as to your asbestos water tank you had the best advice on another thread bag it up in several layers of rubble bags and then break it up inside the bags.

I would leave that asbestos/cement tank where it is - and if you have any old paint lying around cover it with that. It will then be sealed safely .

My wife and daughter are on holiday at the moment so luckily I don't have to worry about them being in the house. I'll try and do some further testing tomorrow,
As they are away use a hairdrier ( unless they both have taken one each ) to blow warm air into the end of the pipe in the cupboard, then see if there is warm air coming out of the end of the pipe in the loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back