What is this under my house kitchen floor. Pics.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On the advice of structural engineer, i have to reinforce a single skin wall in house. When breaking corner of kitchen concrete floor, i came across this mesh with a rubber type sheet. What is this. Pics.
GALLERY]

Sponsored Links
In the second picture there appears to be a void under the wall (Lh. side of pic). The mesh is meant for reinforcing plasterwork and I guess the rubber sheet is to stop the concrete mix falling into the void. I doubt if its doing much good. I would hook it all out and test the under fill to see if its solid, could be there was some thing large there, like a copper that had deep foundations, which the previous build could not be bothered to fill in properly, or the entrance to a cellar or well!!
Frank

Thank you frank. Well no basement😞 neither a wall or cellar. Its just hollow under it and next to it its the suspended floor.

Funny enough the solid concrete just sits on soil and I can see some LBC Phospres bricks on the edge. Its 1930's build so wonder if this is how solid floors were meant to be. Today's standars normally has hardcore.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back