What is this wall made of, and how can I plaster over it?

Yes there can he massive problems if the wall gets damp with D&D. Also these walls are cold in winter. You could even batten and board over with insulated plasterboard, i know it's nearly another inch of space but if an inch or two is making things tight then perhaps the billiards table should do in another room.

haha, true.

Why is it, though, that brick>adhesive>pboard>skim is a problem
but brick>plaster>skim is not? Is it due to the inherent nature of plasterboard adhesive, or the expected "structure" of the dots (not forming a solid backing, but conducting heat much better than battens, perhaps)??

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
but brick>plaster>skim is not?
if adhesive gets damp you will lose your bond and your board will come unstuck, also you may get cold spots grinning through the boards where the adhesive is , now your wall was most prob done with lime and it would have regulated moisture better, solid walls get cold and if you get warm air on cold walls you get condensation "which" also lime would have dealt better with, also no one said that there is no problems with plaster and skim on solid walls, which of course there would be if there was damp or condensation espec with modern plasters as they suck in moisture

but brick>plaster>skim is not?
if adhesive gets damp you will lose your bond and your board will come unstuck, also you may get cold spots grinning through the boards where the adhesive is , now your wall was most prob done with lime and it would have regulated moisture better, solid walls get cold and if you get warm air on cold walls you get condensation "which" also lime would have dealt better with, also no one said that there is no problems with plaster and skim on solid walls, which of course there would be if there was damp or condensation espec with modern plasters as they suck in moisture

Thanks - well I've boarded the whole room except for the external walls - of which there are two, both with windows. This represents about 5 square metres of wall area, but it's fiddly because of the window bays and so on. I could get it boarded myself in an afternoon, though - which I wish I could crack on and do!

Is having it rendered (sand and cement, I guess) the only viable option, however? I have a fair bit of plasterboard left over that I wouldn't mind using up.

[Is having it rendered (sand and cement, I guess) the only viable option, however? I have a fair bit of plasterboard left over that I wouldn't mind using up.
smp I have an outhouse single wall that was dot and dabbed with no problems if you have loads of boards left you may as well put them up if you havent any damp or any other trouble with the wall its your call

Sponsored Links
[Is having it rendered (sand and cement, I guess) the only viable option, however? I have a fair bit of plasterboard left over that I wouldn't mind using up.
smp I have an outhouse single wall that was dot and dabbed with no problems if you have loads of boards left you may as well put them up if you havent any damp or any other trouble with the wall its your call

It's an upstairs room and I haven't seen any damp problems - but the I don't know what I'd be looking for, really. Downstairs there are some very clear problems with damp which I will need to address when I get around to sorting out that room, but there wasn't anything like that upstairs. Plenty of blown patches of plaster, mind you - so possibly some issue.

How long has your wall been boarded, has it seen a couple of winters?

How long has your wall been boarded, has it seen a couple of winters?
maybe 20 years or more, I just thought I would tell you about a job I was on last year in a wine store refurb the whole building was single skin and it was dot and dabbed with insulated boards and there was damp everywhere there was also holes in the wall where you could see daylight shine through and when it rained water came in through the holes yet they dot and dabbed it, my job was just to skim the boards I told them that the job is cr@p and it wont last long but they said it was the architects choice not theirs, what did I care though? I was only there to skim maybe they sorted the walls out from the outside after I left who knows, but dot and dab is the cheapest and worst option

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back