What mill wood floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got the underfloor heating down and am at some point in the future going to cover with engineered wood floor. I am having some stairs made and need to tell the guys who are making the stairs what mill the floor will be so it will fit underneath . I have been to various floor places and the information differs fron 20 mill beech backing flooring and 14 mill birch backing at living floors . Does anyone have engineered flooring down on underfloor heating that can tell me what theirs feels like under foot depending on what mill they have Thank you

Sponsored Links
I dont think you will get any useful answers from that question as it depends on the circulating temperature of the UFH, the room temperature and the thermal conductivity of the wood.

My serious concern is whether your choice of thick block wood flooring will be suitable over UFH !

The BBC in Cardiff had a large hall laid with wood block flooring but it was not aclimatised properly and buckled a few weeks later and all had to be relaid!

Tony

Tony at Agile gives you one concern, I have another, some banana fingered chippie banging big nails thro' the UFH..... :rolleyes:

DH

Agile that is why i posted to ask advice as obviously floor people are gonna tell me it is okay to use with UFH as they will want to sell it to me.It is what i fancy but will not move on it until i am 100 % sure it is okay to use .

DH it will not be nailed to the screed i will be standing over them as they lay it ;)

Sponsored Links
Who designed the UFH ? the question of what type of flooring was to be used SHOULD have come up at the design stage, as depending on the density and thermal efficiency of different flooring, the UFH has to be sized and designed to take final floor covering into account I had an issue with this at a job in Southend a few years ago, UFH designed for Laminate floor, but ended up with heavy carpet, Result - COLD ROOM!!

Take Care with the nails as well ;)

mmm okay i will call the plumber in the morning i actually helped him lay the underfloor heating never thought to discuss what flooring i was fancying :rolleyes: will post what type UFH it is and go from there :D

The pipes should have a min 65mm cover.

Wood floor is fine, but you must have the heat on very low, and gradually turn it up to design temperature.

Avoid as many air pockets under the wood as possible.

Tony and Dreadnoughtheating gave you to problems, but all good things come in threes, so I'll add another one.
Wood is a pretty good insulator, and unless the ufh was designed for it, you may well find that a proper quality wooden floor will not emit enough heat.

The finished floor height problems is easily solved. Don't extend the fixed flooring to the stairs, as the stairs should be sitting on it anyway, but fix the stairs to the concreter floor and make a feature out of that area.

engineered wood flooring will work a treat as a top layer for underfloor.

Dependant upon manufacturer the recommended screed depth will vary from as little as 30 to 80mm.

we recommend opening the flooring packs and leaving in the room for about 2 weeks prior to fit that way they'll adjust to the heat.

As for surface temp the underfloor should be blended down to around 40deg which if using engineered floor wont harm it at all. real wood tends to move more than engineered.

In the case of the BBC Club flooring it had been stacked in the room for about five weeks. However, it had not been opened!

One 400m² UFH installation which I visited to deal with the boiler, was run with the circulating temperature starting at 21 ° C and increased by a degree every two days until it reached the design circulating temperature of 40°.

Interestingly this was all being installed by an Italian company who just used the boiler "bare" to heat the UFH without any recirculating loops, additional pumps or other temperature controling equipment. They say they always do it like that!

Tony

okay have found out this morning that the UFH is water piped if that makes a difference ?? Thanks

No, we had expecter it was a wet system.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back