What order should I do things?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys

Me and my partner are potentially buying our first flat soon and to get it at a good we're looking to buy one that needs a lot of work done to save money.
I'm a gas and heating engineer to trade but I want to do as much of the work required as possible. My question is once the house is stripped out and cleared what order should I do all the work requires eg bathrooms, flooring , electrical work etc.
Any advice Yous could give would be much appreciated
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Mr Greeno! *manly pat on the back* congratulations, :) haha

Ideally I would say, outside inwards? Check to find where rain gets in; damp patches round windows etc

Once your protected from the elements, start with the work that you won't see after it's all painted and carpeted; look for damp patches on the chimney breasts, which you'll want to fix prior to the carpet going down, as you might want to tear off the lining paper and re paper?

Fill and sand off wooden areas that you'll want to paint. Doors windows skirting...

More will come to mind, and I'll add.

We are currently in as similar situation to yourselves. the whole house needs doing from top to bottom.
I would suggest that the basics are sorted out first, so the roof and any damp issues, wiring and plumbing. Then plastering, decorating, flooring per room. The room order probably depends on the layout of the flat but I would probably start upstairs (if you have an upstairs). No point in finishing the hall then dragging lots of building waste through. No point in making a lovely bathroom then making it filthy with dirty hands.

Also important are smoke alarms and if you will be living there whilst restoring, it's a good idea to sort out some storage, as much as possible, because it's a nightmare trying to find stuff when you have no wardrobes for instance. So maybe do the bedroom first?

I have made a long list of 'jobs to do' on an excel work sheet in order per room, so that jobs can be added, removed and highlighted when complete. Some sort of list is essential as it's difficult to keep it all in mind at once.

Good luck with it. It's a slog sometimes but will all be worth it in the end.

I have made a long list of 'jobs to do' on an excel work sheet in order per room, so that jobs can be added, removed and highlighted when complete. Some sort of list is essential as it's difficult to keep it all in mind at once.

Ideally place a a4 printout in each room in the corner, with the specific rooms work needed, ready to be ticked on completion, and like squeaky says, it's a huge load off your mind.

Do add some pictures, as work gets underway.... :)

Sponsored Links
And remember: It will look a whole lot worse before it starts to look better :D

I modernised my house, doing some work myself. Think about window boards, skirting, architraves, coving, wiring, plumbing, heating, decorating. Do the messy stuff first, such as rewiring, and skirting. Do the cosmetic stuff last, such as painting, and carpets. It's mostly obvious, for example putting in new radiator pipes creates channels in the walls or floor, so you do that before carpets! Maybe you want to do a list of jobs needed, then order them. I had a chap round to quote for my boiler, and he went round creating work for himself. He identified things I had not thought of. Most useful!

Back