what pipe for above ground potable water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to run a long length of potable water pipe, half of which is above ground and half will be buried.
What is the problem with blue mdpe?
What should I be using?
Thank you

Sponsored Links
The problem with blue MDPE is that the water inside will get warm in summer and be at risk of freezing in winter. If it warms up too much it'll no longer be classed as potable. You need pre-insulated pipe for the above ground runs

I've googled preinsulated pipe and it's pretty expensive stuff!

Is there a pragmatic solution that's cheaper? The work is by volunteers for a local organisation, so there's no budget for top end stuff.

Is there something that I could wrap HDPE pipe in?

Or would black HDPE be better?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Yes it's expensive but that's the proper way to do it. Either that or get your spade out and bury it. Whatever you do, you need to ensure that it can't become a breeding ground for legionella or you'll risk getting yourself sued if someone becomes ill from the water, as it seems that this installation might be used by people other than yourself

You could use this....
http://www.pipelagging.com/pipe-ins...5mm-wall-x-2m-black-class-o-tube#.VTnt2IFwbqA

...but you'll need to paint it with this to make it weather resistant, and make sure you maintain it properly by re-painting as required http://www.amazon.co.uk/Armacell-Armafinish-Paint-Armaflex-Insulation/dp/B00BN6C5C6

EDIT: To answer your other question, black will absorb more heat than blue and would therefore be a worse option

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back