What Sat Nav do you use.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats your sat nav, and what would you go for now, likes and dislikes. Bigger , smaller, Brighter, talking. ect ect.
Your feedback welcome.

Sponsored Links
Android app on my phone £2.50 a month on my price plan, been very good, although it has real time sense, you do have to stop and reset the destination to get a green route if it suddenly goes to red

Garmin, programmed to fail to connect to satellites the week after the guarantee expired

Sponsored Links
I've got one of those tomtom ones and it's ok to get you to places you don't know.... eventually. Just for fun I've used it in my local area and it never fails to try to send me all around the houses, so I assume it does that wherever you're going.

On my Android I use Sygic Aura, nothing per month, nothing to begin with, nothing further down the line when I get updates, nothing even further down the line when Sygic bring out new version

No I dont work for Sygic ya wallies I Torrent it, when the world is full of S**T people I have no quarms ripping off software from the net, millions do it and even so the company still makes millions from people whos S**T dont stink

Anyway---Sygic Aura is by far thee most advanced SATNAV I have ever used, 3D buildings, view position elevates prior to making turns on roundabout to give full view that was impressive first time I seen that, has built in Yellow Pages I call it, click menu select Nieghbourhood all in distance order is all amenities can select groups pick one theres the number 1 tap your ringing it hotel maybe or Pizza delivery or do a search for Asda Burger King and just that will be listed its a great feature

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OctlsS9QIc8

What you also need to be aware of is "On-Line" SATNAV that require a DATA connection to calculate routes and re-calculate if you take a wrong turn, not so good if you take wrong turn and your out of signal???

TOMTOM and all other hand held devices is "Off-Line" were all the information is stored in the device, Google Navigation is an example of "On-Line" SATNAV and I have used a few others but had a massive gripe with them needing a DATA connection even though I had enough DATA allowance on my phone

If you have Android and built in GPS Antenna, Torrent Sygic Aura you will love it!!!!

Sorry for the DP

Whats wrong with a map and a sense of direction?
This society is becoming too dependant on tech (as much as I like it).

I had a satnav and i ended up throwing it out the window. literally. Im much happier now using local maps, and if i need to go anywhere further i just print out some maps and directions from google maps.

Whats wrong with a map and a sense of direction?
This society is becoming too dependant on tech (as much as I like it).
you are quite right, backwards progress, soon we will lose the ability to think for ourselves, we have come to be far too dependant on computers, and digital technology.

Wotan

When young ( awaits the jokes, only 47 now). I was a DR Despatch rider, no tom toms then. Map, motorbike, package, deliver or no beer tokens.
Went all over the country, got lost yes. Found the destination YES.
Know London like the back of my hand still.

As you say, skills are being lost now.
A dangerous situation when the basic skills are lost IMHO. Youngsters today lack manners, let alone map reading. Thank fook mine are still classed as polite by my friends. Can read a map and have the making of something good. Some others out there are just feral predators awaiting gaol sentences.
Society is going into a headfirst dive unless we retake the classrooms and allow teachers to do the job they are suposed to do. And one aspect of that is to support parents not replace them.
Far too many now expect others to bring up their offspring.........

Sorry for the rant there, had to be said :D

I used to have a Tom Tom a few years ago. I found it very useful for speed cameras and had it set to warn me 400yds before any static cameras. Once , coming back from Oldham to Derby, I set it for the shortest route, just to see where it took me. What a very unpleasant trip through north Derbyshire. Down B roads and narrow country lanes. Took 3 hrs to reach home, a journey I could do in an hour and a half using the M6 etc.
When I was sent out from work driving 7.5 tonne lorries all over the country, I downloaded height and width restrictions onto my Tom Tom. Bloody thing still tried to take me under low bridges or through width restrictions though. I did hate the "Turn around when possible", when trying to find an alternative route due to a height restriction. In city centres, it would lose satellites , due to tall buildings. Maps too needed updating, on the A1 in South Yorkshire, it would place me in the middle of a field and proceed to tell me to turn right (whilst doing 70 in the outside lane of the A1M)
Downloaded some celebrity voices for it, just for a laugh. Great fun having Ozzie Osbourne tell you to "Take the ffffff 'in motorway!" or John Cleese telling me "You have reached your destination,, I'm not coming with you, from now on your on your own." ;) ;) ;)

@Alarm - Always the easy approach with me, driving somewhere or making toast doesnt matter, the least effort is the winner for me, going somewhere new day trip or interview I would want to be there ASAP to give the most time enjoying the place or being on time for the interview, dependant on tech - HELL YER!!!!!!!

@mickyg - Sounds like you had a bad experiance will a not so good SATNAV and then wrote themm all off!!, if you were to try a modern version I am sure you would like it

@Alarm again - Would you have made more money as a despatch rider if you go to more destinations per day due to having SATVAN?

@joinerjohn - I had TOMTOM on my other HTC phone had it for about 3 years, I think it was the first mobile or one of them to have built in GPS antenna, so a ripped copy of TOMTOM was installed for all of that time, and it was BAD!!!!! but the voices were cool I had KIT from Knightrider, the newer updated GUI and maps work perfectly, even the likes of Google Navigation thats free with Android works to a very acceptible standard, but the premium high end GUI's look amazing!!!

mickyg said:
I had a satnav and i ended up throwing it out the window.

Was it an Indago SNP-1000? We found one lying in the street outside our house. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: It's a bit bashed and the battery's flat but, if I can find a matching power plug, it might tell me where its owner's home is. :idea:

I got a tom tom as a Christmas present. I don't use it much. I tried it twice when driving into the centre of London. First time round it took us down Kilburn High Street (what a nightmare) and the second time wasn't much better. Five hours to reach the North Circular (using a map) and four more to reach Fulham. :mad: :mad: :mad:

It would've been useful the day the Northbound A1M was closed and I was diverted into Doncaster. (The diversion signs ran out and I ended up in Wakefield) but, for the most part, I'd rather use a map.

Useful tip: NEVER just switch the thing on and follow its directions. ALWAYS review the chosen route to see if it makes sense. This paid off big time when I lost the signal in the middle of London. :eek: :eek: :eek: I'd remembered enough detail to keep on track until the thing found itself again.

Sponsored Links
Back