What saw do I use for cutting skirting?

Maz

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I pulled some skirting off very old, seventy two layers of paint, couldn't face stripping it). However I have since discovered that it is not standard anymore:( there is one with same profile in b and q but it is taller. I want it to match the rest of the hall (so i don't have to pull it all off) and so was going to try to cut it to the right size with a saw.

However, I have never used a power saw before and am not sure which one to get. I am going ot hire it from HSS and thought this one looked okay:

http://www.hss.com/g/3201/Circular_Saw_150mm__110v.html

can anyone give me any advise on this?

thanks

Maz

Sponsored Links
You appear to be looking at a 110volt saw, but you will find a 220volt one more convenient as it will plug straight in.

It will make a great deal of dust so work outside on a good bench with clamps. Try not to cut off many fingers ;)

You might think about using a handsaw if you only have a few cuts to make.

Internal joints are better scribed than mitred (there are other posts, look up "scribe" on Search.

Thanks John - I may well just stick to the hand saw as I am worried about the old fingers thing. will it be as good?

I only have an external corner to do (unless i turn out to be brillant at this and rip it all up). I looked at the scribe threads and they seem very complicated but will read up more

Another questiosn (and you can be as mean as you want about how stupid this is) I cut off the skirting near the internal door in the hall. The door was put in later than the skirting and so runs over the lenght of it - thus i couldn't take it all off. Am I being really unrealistic thinking i can match up the new skiting ot my slightly off sawn off edge? is there any way of minimalising the botch up here?

cheers

MAz

I have a feeling that it is the architrave around the door lining that meets the skirting?

Architrave is a lot cheaper than skirting, you will probably find it easier to take off the old architrave and fit new, then you can meet the skirting cleanly.

(I am not much good at Applied Ligneous Structures, there may be someone along in a minute with a better idea.)

Sponsored Links
it is actually teh door frame. imagine the front door, then a bit into the hall they put an internal door - so it is the frame of that

Internal doors do not usually have a frame - they have three planks to line the hole in the wall, then a moulded architrave round the outside to hide and dress up the joint of the wood to the plaster - it was the architrave that I thought you could replace.

Maybe I haven't correctly visualised the bits you mean.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back