What seal for a front door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old hardwood front door in a Victorian terraced house. I've stripped off the old seal from the frame along with extra bits of tatty old draft excluder from the door to re-stain it. Now I'm having problems finding a new seal! The old one on the door frame was rectangular in cross-section and firm (rather than spongy) rubber, the face of the door met it when shut.

When the door is shut, the total gap between the face and the frame is approx 9 - 10mm - much larger than anything a feeble foam "draft excluder" strip can cope with. The only other products I can find are rubber seals in various profiles, but I'm not sure how these would fit in my door frame.

Any advice on what I should use? I could get a diagram or photo of the frame if that would help...

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo frosty and welcome :D:D:D:D

the gap on a front door round the edges should be around 3mm
and 1 or 2mm between the front or back and frame

can you not move the lock catch plate to close the gap up!!!!!

10mm presents a bit of a security risk in the area of a yale lock :cry: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back