What should a radiator pipe look like?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies in advance for the blond question. As part of my new loft conversion, the loft company told me they would run the pipework for the new radiator and leave the pipework in the loft ready for the radiator to be connected to the boiler.

The radiator was fitted today (I did tell the loft company last week that the radiator can now be fitted to the boiler but that's another story) but the pipework has not been connected. I had a look in the loft and all I can see is three plastic grey tubes. Two are labelled "heating" and one has no label but is fitted with a white cap. Photo of the pipework here:

http://img228.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf1240largecu7.jpg

The loft company told me that they fitted the pipework before Christmas. But I had a thorough look in the loft this evening and cannot see any copper pipework. Are radiators now heated through this grey plastic tubing or should I expect to see some copper?

No-one has been paid yet so I am sure they will be co-operative in resolving this once I figure out what the problem is.

Sponsored Links
The loft company fitted the radiator today, and they told me they left the pipework for the radiator running to the room where the boiler is installed (at the back of the loft).

The radiator TRV is set to 6 and there is no heat (CH is on at the moment) so I have established it is not in working condition.

I can't see any copper running in the loft from the radiator location, only the plastic tubing in the picture.

The pipe is fine. Chances are they will join some copper or chrome to the plastic when they connect up the radiator, that is if there's going to be pipework on show, if not then they probably won't. Plastic pipe will be being used for long runs.

All sounds fine to me.

Sponsored Links
The pipe is fine. Chances are they will join some copper or chrome to the plastic when they connect up the radiator. Plastic pipe will be being used for long runs.

All sounds fine to me.

For a 4m run? The boiler is in the next room!

yes. It's a lot easier to thread through floor joists and round corners than copper pipe.

Thank you! That makes sense now. Now I just have to organise for them to come back and connect it to the boiler.

Keep an eye on them when they're doing this - there should not be any plastic pipe within one metre of the boiler so make sure they convert to copper early enough

as nobody is paid, why don't you just wait until you are told it is all done?
surely nothing so obvious as a completely not working radiator will be left to block the payment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back