What Size Are Pipes In Early 60s House?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house was built in 1961. The pipes in it (original ones) look to be 15mm and 22mm size. Is it likely that they are not 15 and 22mm, and are in fact an old imperial size?

If they aren't 15 and 22mm, how do I fit the stop tap and gate valve that I have bought (both 15mm) to these pipes? Is there an adaptor available?

Sponsored Links
15 mm olives will be ok but the 22 is likely to be 3/4 and you will need 3/4 olives. :D

You could buy imperial olives for your fittings.

Although what i tend to do is use the original olivees, crack the nuts up really tight so the olives get a decent grip on the pipe, remove the fitting and wrap a good few turns of ptfe round the olives. Bailed me out a lot and works everytime! :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

So, presumably if i needed to also use solder fittings, 15mm would be OK on my old pipes, but what end feed fittings do I use on the 3/4 pipes?

My house was built in 1961. The pipes in it (original ones) look to be 15mm and 22mm size. Is it likely that they are not 15 and 22mm, and are in fact an old imperial size?

If they aren't 15 and 22mm, how do I fit the stop tap and gate valve that I have bought (both 15mm) to these pipes? Is there an adaptor available?

Just be careful that the 15mm or 1/2" isnt 16 gauge, plumb center do a compession adaptor which is 16 gauge compression to 15mm compression,there isn't loads of it about but it's caught me out once and now I always keep a couple of the fittings with me JIC, always tell now when I put the pipeslice on and it feels tight. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back