What size cable

Sponsored Links
You could still take the supply from a socket outlet, using a fused connection unit although the supply would be rated at 13amp...

Sponsored Links
rf lighting and securespark we have a difference of opinion ,if it does require its own circuit im stuffed but if not quite a strightforward job...

Euston please advise,over

You can take a supply from an FCU connected to the kitchen ring, but IMHO this is an inadequte supply for an outbuilding, and will leave no option for future upgrading. It is also a large(ish) load for a kitchen ring circuit which may well already be well loaded.

The house got rewired last year and I never gave the outbuilding a thought, I am not sure if the kitchen has got its own ring circuit, but I wa going to feed off a socket thats in the dining room,possiblby seperate circuit will look in the morning ,another possibility is to come off upstairs ring main which is seperate from downstairs........would this be a better option?

You'll still only have 13A capacity for the entire outbuilding. Only you can decide if that is sufficient and whether it's worth cutting corners now only for you to regret it later.

Your post stated that you wanted power to supply a lawn mower / hedge trimmer....a fused connection unit taken from the existing ringmain will be sufficient for your needs, should you ever wish to change / upgrade your outhouse / shed to cater for a larger load then you should take this into consideration.....

Make sure that there is an RCD present so that your equipment can be safely used outdoors....

yes thats correct I only wish to use it for lawnmowing,hedgecutting,lights ect and iin reality would like to put in a larger cable for future proof,but my options are limited but I was going to just dig in the cable but I will certainly use duct in case my needs change..............

To all the guys who replied..............thanks......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back