What Size Unvented Cylinder

Sponsored Links
and finally (I think) the larger the store of water under pressure the longer a good flow rate is stored in situations of poor mains. That is to stay the accumulator effect.

So we have three benefits of larger cylinders.

Which you must also take into account when deciding where to put the cylinder how much you have to spend and how many people you want to serve.

The accumulator effect in the larger air gap is only a couple of seconds, so can't really be factored in a purchasing decision!

The volume vs heat loss argument is only valid for a given grade of insulation, and of course some cylinders are better insulated than others.

The accumulator effect in the larger air gap is only a couple of seconds, so can't really be factored in a purchasing decision!

The volume vs heat loss argument is only valid for a given grade of insulation, and of course some cylinders are better insulated than others.

I will have to take your word for your firstpoint

your second point.. i was answering on an all other things being equal basis. That should have been obvious.

Sponsored Links
Tony you really are annoying.

quote - Its 50 litres per person as the rule of thumb! Ideally plus 50 litres extra !

so in a one bed flat with one person living there, you think 100l is plenty, they may have a big bath, fill that up then want to use the shower whilst in it for say washing down and washing hair. what about them there partner stays one night and they both want a shower? don't be such a t@sser all your life.

I am sorry that you find good advice "annoying".

One wonders just what size cylinder you would expect to fit in a one bed flat.

All I can say is that 125 litres would be the size that most builders/plumbers fit. That fits well with the rule of thumb ( 50 +50+25 ) Rules of thumb have to be interpreted by a skilled person.

Tony

What a lot of possibly wrong answers!

The capacity of the cylinder depends on the number of PEOPLE who normally live there.

Its 50 litres per person as the rule of thumb! Ideally plus 50 litres extra !

We are told that "He can work computers, so I am having to help, thanks." In that case one wonders why he is not asking the questions himself.

As always, the best advice is from the qualified installer who is going to fit it ( and be responsible for his design advice! ).

Tony

So in this case 50 litres per person... possibly 5 people (2 double beds and 1 single) + 50 litre = 300 litres... would you really put a 300 litre Megaflo in this scenario Tony?

Didn't think so

jon 26 wrote

The house is a 3 bedroom (2 double and 1 single) with 1 bathroom (containing a large bath and a shower cubicle) and
1 en-suite (containing a shower)

G4U was spot on earlier.
170/L. :)

Just ordered a CL170HE,

Cheers guys

Thats interesting that you have ordered a cylinder when its for "your mates house"!

It sounds to me is if its you who are going to fit it even though you are presumably not qualified and will not be able to notify the installation to the Building Control.

If there were really five people living there then I would discuss the size with the owner and suggest a 300 li if their usage is high or 210 li if its lower. There is little incremental cost of a larger cylinder and an advantage if hot water never runs out.

Tony

Even if 5 people are living in the property 170/L is ample.
Its a single bathroom property and most people having a bath will spend at least 30 minutes in there giving sufficient time for the cylinder to recover.
With an 18 kw coil that shouldn't be too long.
The chances off a number of people using the en-suite shower will be slim.

Even if 5 people are living in the property 170/L is ample.
Its a single bathroom property and most people having a bath will spend at least 30 minutes in there giving sufficient time for the cylinder to recover.
With an 18 kw coil that shouldn't be too long.
The chances off a number of people using the en-suite shower will be slim.

I would assume that the two sleeping in the bedroom with the ensuite would have showers and the other three baths but of course there is a shower over the bath so they could all use showers.

If the weather is very cold then the boiler output will be mostly required for heating rather than hot water and the recovery rate will be higher and could give rise to insufficient to meet the needs of the residents.

I recommend what I would want in my own house! ( The best )

Tony

Just out of interest what would you recommend for a 4/5 bed, 3 bath and single shower property ?.

Megaflo, ACV, Excelsior,OSO , Range recommend between 250/L and 330/L !.

Just ordered a CL170HE,

Cheers guys

Thats interesting that you have ordered a cylinder when its for "your mates house"!

It sounds to me is if its you who are going to fit it even though you are presumably not qualified and will not be able to notify the installation to the Building Control.

If there were really five people living there then I would discuss the size with the owner and suggest a 300 li if their usage is high or 210 li if its lower. There is little incremental cost of a larger cylinder and an advantage if hot water never runs out.

Tony

Yes, 'my mate' ordered it you complete idiot. I said 'just ordered CL170HE' which he did.

It may sound to you like its me that is going to fit it but you are completely wrong, a registered G3 installer will be fitting the new HW and boiler system.

Will you ever stop being a complete and utter prat on here? Can you not leave the other pro's to it and go away?

Just out of interest what would you recommend for a 4/5 bed, 3 bath and single shower property ?.

Megaflo, ACV, Excelsior,OSO , Range recommend between 250/L and 330/L !.

Yes Agile, if you would spec a 250 or 300 litre for a 3 bed house 1 bath and 1 shower, I bet you would also spec a similar size cylinder for a 4/5 bed, 3 bath and single shower property too? Dosent make sense.

Yes Agile, if you would spec a 250 or 300 litre for a 3 bed house 1 bath and 1 shower, I bet you would also spec a similar size cylinder for a 4/5 bed, 3 bath and single shower property too? Dosent make sense.

I have never mentioned 250li or 300 li cylinders. Its a pity you dont bother to read what people say.

I am surprised that the G3 registered installer was not asked to recommend a suitable size cylinder.

I have always said that the most important factor is the number of people living there! Its people who use hot water not empty rooms!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back