What size water pipe???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

Hoping someone can help with advice as our old water supply has failed.

We live on an old farm where there are four residential properties. Our water supply pipe (communication pipe??) has failed and needs to be replaced. This is a steel 2 inch supply which comes to the farm from the water main which is 1.3km away. The pressure has always been low, but is now pretty close to non existent. The pipe has either furred up inside or sprung several minor leaks (apparently it's acting like a colander).

As we're crossing a neighbouring farm, we can only put in one pipe due to eavement rights. So, my question is - is it better to put in 32mm? 50mm or 63mm? The pressure is very high at the water main but how best to retain that pressure over such a long distance?

Any advice greatly received.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You must first consult with your neighbour's as to your projected water use, then approach your Water Utility (the Utility will have the final say) for a site survey.

You may make your own arrangements for trenching, and supplying the nominated pipe - they will be cheaper than the Water company.

Check with the farmer ref. the proposition. And your legal position for the easement - it may have changed with time or circumstance?

Might be better asking on the Plumbers Forum, my skills are somewhat rusty nowadays, but there's a bit more science to this than you might realise. Good pressure is fine, but if you've not the flow to back it up then if several draw off the supply at the same time you may find it slows to a trickle.

With the amount of work involved (and associated cost!) it needs to be right for current and future requirements!

Sponsored Links
Can't give you a 100% answer but as a guide I can tell you that the minimum pipe size for 3 to 5 dwellings is 50mm and I can also tell you that a 900m pipe serving one dwelling had to be 63mm - but that pipe could have been up to 2000m long! If I had to take a stab I'd say you are looking at a 90mm pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back