WHAT SORT OF WOOD IS BEST?

JohnD said:
If you have room, I rather like using lift-off hinges. That makes it much more easy to treat the top and bottom of the door, especially after they have been planed or trimmed.

This is the answer to the sticking door problem. A common mistake when hanging a new door is forgetting to seal the underside after its been trimmed to size. Water is absorbed mainly from the end grain by capillary action of the water that has run down the outer face.

The problem can also be added to by the door frame swelling. Its surprising how much water is absorbed at the base if it isn't sealed with mastic. The area behind the lock latch & striking plate also need sealing with paint. Obviously the timber needs to be dry when you seal it.

Sponsored Links
On the other hand, there are oak doors which have never been sealed with anything yet have survived for hundreds of years :)

biffvernon said:
On the other hand, there are oak doors which have never been sealed with anything yet have survived for hundreds of years :)

I agree, they do 'survive' but they also swell when water is absorbed into the end grain.

Don`t buy a hardwood door thats made from meranti as this is the crapiest wood for swelling, well i think so anyways. Whatever you purchase seal it with thompsons water seal first as this prevents the timber from swelling, be sure to give it a few coats before u stain and varnish.

I would recommend using sapele, this timber is used in boat building and has a quality a bit like mahogany. maybe you should have one made to order out of this timber of which i would kindly construct for you if you like, there is one problem, the cost of shipping unless you can find a decent carpenter near where you live.

Sponsored Links
1511 said:
Don`t buy a hardwood door thats made from meranti as this is the crapiest wood for swelling, well i think so anyways. Whatever you purchase seal it with thompsons water seal first as this prevents the timber from swelling, be sure to give it a few coats before u stain and varnish.

I would recommend using sapele, this timber is used in boat building and has a quality a bit like mahogany. maybe you should have one made to order out of this timber of which i would kindly construct for you if you like, there is one problem, the cost of shipping unless you can find a decent carpenter near where you live.

Thanks, 1511, for your help. I am still saving up for a new door but have made notes based on your advice!

All wood changes dimensions with humidity. You may seal it somewhat for a while but that won't last forever. A door needs to be made so that it can accomodate the movement.

Please don't use Sapele. It comes from tropical West Africa and what's left of the rain forest there is far too valuable to cut down and use as doors in Britain.

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/contentlookup.cfm?ucidparam=20020410075739

biffvernon said:
All wood changes dimensions with humidity. You may seal it somewhat for a while but that won't last forever. A door needs to be made so that it can accomodate the movement.

Please don't use Sapele. It comes from tropical West Africa and what's left of the rain forest there is far too valuable to cut down and use as doors in Britain.

http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/contentlookup.cfm?ucidparam=20020410075739

Thanks for letting me know about Sapele - I have read the Greenpeace webpage and will try not to make the same mistake our Prime Minister did!

Lynda67 said:
............ will try not to make the same mistake our Prime Minister did!

Which particular mistake? He wanted 10% bio-diesel in the fuel at the pumps. The oil that supplies most of this comes from oil palms, they need to get rid of those pesky sapele trees as the land could be used to satisfy an ill informed prime minister who shall remain nameless. Large areas of tropical have already been cleared to provide our supermarket visitors with the chance to be green. Presumably this palm oil is also used to make his long haul holiday flights "greener". :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back