What thermostat can I get to replace this ancient one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have this really old honeywell thermostat and I'm pretty sure it doesn't work. Even if I set it quite low the boiler never turns off, if I turn it completely off the boiler does turn off. See Pic below, it says 4200 3879-001 on inside cover.

View media item 60624
It has 3 wires connected to pins 1, 2, and 3. pins 4 and 5 are unused.

My question is can I upgrade to a more modern one like the 2 below?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honeywell...DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item231bf5f8a9

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honeywell...DIY_Materials_Plumbing_MJ&hash=item460ce8f963

Which would be easiest to fit and accurate on temperature?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The 6360 is based on technology Noah was using.

The DT90e is just a dumb thermostat, although more accurate than your old one.

The CM907 beings in TPi and intelligent control of the boiler (once you enable the right settings.

The extra cost will be recouped in a year or so and transferrable to a new boiler when the time comes.

The 6360 is the same but a bit prettier.

One in the 1990s is going to be as accurate as a Starbuck's Statement of accounts.

Even worse if T3 isn't connected to neutral like so many were.

Can I ask why not a DT90e based on my set up?
and would a t6360 be rubbish?
The Honeywell CM907 will act as a programmer and thermostat. The DT90 will just do what the stat you have now does.

The CM907 offers 6 time periods, all of which can be set with a diffferent temperature. It also 'learns' how to heat the house i.e. it learns how long it takes your system to heat the house to the required temperature and switches the heating on at the time neded to get the house to temperature at the required time. You set the time you want the temperature, not guess what time to start the boiler, as on a standard programmer. Well worth the extra cost.

In answer to part 2 above - yes.

I have gone with a Honeywell CM707 as I couldn't turn down a bargain price of £10 !

I will look at cm907 if and when we upgrade our boiler.

Now I just have to worry about installing it. I take it that it doesn't use the neutral wire. Instead of terminating this in a block to make safe, can I just disconnect it at the other end from the junction box?

Thanks

I have gone with a Honeywell CM707 as I couldn't turn down a bargain price of £10 !

I will look at cm907 if and when we upgrade our boiler.
A TENNER? I'll take 20.

If the 707 works then keep it. I'm sure the only difference is that the 707 has a service interval reminder type thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back