What to buy... what to buy?

As has already been mentioned, modern diesels need to be used. I know a number of people who bought diesels who lived to regret it as they simply weren't doing the mileage to regenerate the filters (specifically the dreaded DPF). Regarding motability cars, many of these are low mileage so maybe best avoided for a diesel in many cases (for instance, my father does less than 6k a year in his Grand Tourneo Connect 1.5 diesel -eek!). Motability vehicles do tend to be very well maintained and want for nothing though, as main dealer servicing (and even tyres, and we are not talking Taiwanese Ditch Finders but the likes of Goodyear and Continental here) are included as part of the scheme. For instance, rather than repair a puncture both tyres on the axle have been replaced on dads cars on more than one occasion!

If you are going with Volkswagen group the Octavia Estate (which would be my own personal preference for an estate admittedly) has more room in the back than the equivalent Seat from my experience. Volvo estates are legendary of course. Ex Police vehicles are said to be good value and well looked after if you can live with the mileage (and a few holes in the dash were equipment has previously been mounted for example).

Sponsored Links
You can't dismiss low mileage diesels. 6k miles a year could be a 120 mile trip once a week or 15 miles a day. One is good for the car and one isn't.
I've been driving diesels with DPFs for 10+ years, the last 5 years have been the 15 mile a day type scenario and I've had no problems.

As has already been mentioned, modern diesels need to be used. I know a number of people who bought diesels who lived to regret it as they simply weren't doing the mileage to regenerate the filters (specifically the dreaded DPF).
Yes, I've heard about that which is one reason why I probably won't go for diesel again. My present car, a Skoda Fabia diesel is now about 14 years old and devoid of any of these annoying filters. I only do about 2000 miles a year now I'm retired and yet have had no problems with the car. The engine is excellent and can leave BMWs standing! (Well, I lied a bit there!)

Last time my mother had her S40 diesel serviced, they recharged some canister of additive (?) inside the fuel tank, at some horrific cost. They told her to make sure she runs the tank as low as possible then refuel it to the brim, because the device detects the addition of fuel, but it doesn't know how much fuel, so it just squirts the same dose of this mega expensive mystery liquid in each time a refuel occurs. Refuelling low amounts each time and you hence apparently run out of superjuice faster..

I've no comment on the technical accuracy of this, but if it IS true, it could be another factor to consider if you're looking for lower running costs on a car that doesn't do a lot of miles; it might be better to refuel once every two months than putting a fiver a week in

Sponsored Links
That's EOLYS fluid and it is correct about refilling when nearly empty. I had this system on a 2006 Citroen C5 and got it up to 90k miles and hadn't had to refill the container. Not sure if my late V70 has EOLYS, I know it doesn't need Adblue.

Makes sense, I think the s40 diesels circa 2008 used a pug engine? I thought the s60/v70 from the early d5 times were always Volvo lumps, though I'm not sure if that's still true for the modern ones / d3 etc

The 1.6 diesel engine was the Peugeot/Citroen/Ford unit with a reputation for turbo problems. 2 litre diesels were Ford units when Ford owned Volvo but now I think they've made their own.

It's a funny definition of proper when it doesn't do approximately 99% of the things 99% of the populace expect a car to do

But it does do 100% of what the 99% populace would dream to do, if only they had US$3,000,000 going spare.

Interesting philosophical question that. If I gave you $3m, would you buy (and keep) a Chiron? Technically it's spare, as you already afford the rest of your life, so it's an additional lump sum that you don't need. Or would you argue that it wasn't spare, as it could/would be put to far better use clearing debts, changing vocation/retiring, relocating etc.

It could be an investment, if the waiting list is long enough, but overall I think that very few people who were placed in a situation like a lottery win significant enough that they would have that amount of money spare after allocating the other part of their win to everything in life that called for it, would buy a Chiron with it..

I have a recent diesel (2010 VW) and to be honest I'm disappointed with the fuel economy. I've driven diesels for years, all around 1700cc but mechanically injected and have always had 53MPG on all journeys. This VW, common rail/electronically injected is widely variable and so averages only 48 MPG not the consistant average MPG in the high 50's I was expecting. I've seen as much as 63MPG over a 250 mile journey and little as 25MPG around town.

If you've seen 63mpg on a run I don't think you can complain, it's modern traffic conditions that hit the mpg.

Sponsored Links
Back