What to consider when selecting a roofer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

It appears I require a new roof and now need to select a roofer. I've had one quote so far from a father and son outfit, but I'm intending to get a couple more.

The thing is, I'm not sure what I should be looking out for when selecting a roofer.

Is there some kind of federation of roofers, or such like, of which most reputable roofers are members?

Should I be looking for a warranty? Would a sole trader or father & son outfit normally offer a warranty?

What are the important questions I should be asking, and key things I should be looking for?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
The federations are a complete waste of time. They're full of promise and nothing else. Friends and family recommendations will be far and above more useful than any federations or similar. Forget any roofer who is not busy and can start next Monday or similar (even if he does ring you up and tell you someone's just conveniently just cancelled his next job).

You could do worse than to drive round a a bit and look for new roofs being done. Take note of the addresses and then knock on their doors in a few months time after the roofers have gone. A happy customer will generally be quite happy to recommend a good roofer especially a few months later when the dust has settled and the customer has had a chance to inspect the roof etc. Appreciate you may be in a hurry and it might sound a bit bonkers but its generally a sound way of finding a roofer.

Common sense really plenty on the web eg http://www.ourproperty.co.uk/guides/roofer-p1.html

Also male sure its someone you feel you can talk to.

Thanks. I'm going to get a couple numbers of roofers who my folks know have done work for others.

The father & son team who gave me a quote commented that they're not VAT registered. Is this normal for a small outfit or does that sound a bit dodgey?

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I'm going to get a couple numbers of roofers who my folks know have done work for others.

The father & son team who gave me a quote commented that they're not VAT registered. Is this normal for a small outfit or does that sound a bit dodgey?
sounds like they`ll be 20% cheaper ;)

The NFRC is not a complete waste of time as suggested above. It is not like many other Building federations where you pay a small fee and your in! They rigorously vet members and should any problems arise they will assist until it's sorted to everyone's satisfaction. On their website you will find details of reputable roofers in your area.

Otherwise, as suggested, make sure you see previous work and or get recommendations.

Nothing wrong with a small outfit not being Vat registered. Just make sure you have references.

Getting a contractor:

1. Get references
2. Check references - quality or work and customer satisfaction?
3. Is their quote a reasonable figure? Don't just chose the lowest regardless
4. Is their quote clearly detailed and complete?
5. Do you actually like them?
6. I live in a small town and use local tradesmen, who know you can ruin their business if they are not up to scratch, but in a large town or city, you need to be careful as they can do the job and run to the next mug.

Firstly as Freddy says federations and the like are not everything, membership is not gifted, it's paid for ultimately by you the customer.
Not being vat registered simply means they do not turnover that much, probably choose not to , it's not compulsorary unlless you approach/hit the set threshold.
Not being vat reg does not equal 20% cheaper, you only save the 20% on the labour and not the whole job. Vat on mats still is paid, as is scaffold vat etc etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back