What to do with my Frankenstein fuse box?

That's a very specific, and (for domestic) almost uncommon enough to be described as 'irrelevant', anecdote - so I struggle to understand how your response in any way addresses my question (to which your were apparently replying, since you quoted it) (with my emboldening)...
What am I missing ?

Kind Regards, John
It happens to be the only specific survey I have in my notebook, with the results of the online calculator, although it was certainly not domestic but it was a classic example of a proposed radial circuit. In point of fact the customer had requested a '25A radial' for economy reasons (Cheapest installation).
Planning a domestic radial would, IMO, compare very favourably with that situation, ie dropping every few metres from the ceiling to sockets very quickly adds up.
I haven't bothered trying to calculate the maximum length for a 2.5mm² 25A circuit but I'd guess its mid 20's under ideal conditions, that would be eaten up with 6 drops.

Sponsored Links
Planning a domestic radial would, IMO, compare very favourably with that situation, ie dropping every few metres from the ceiling to sockets very quickly adds up.
It would (quickly add up) maintaining a ring like that by dropping to socket then returning back up the same route, but -

I haven't bothered trying to calculate the maximum length for a 2.5mm² 25A circuit but I'd guess its mid 20's under ideal conditions, that would be eaten up with 6 drops.
for a radial, each drop has no effect on the total length of another.

Assuming 25m. then a 22m. run with a 3m. drop at the end could have any number of 3m. drops along the route without altering the maximum length.

It happens to be the only specific survey I have in my notebook, with the results of the online calculator, although it was certainly not domestic but it was a classic example of a proposed radial circuit.
That was my point - it was a single anecdote, relating to a situation which would be extremely unusual in a domestic setting, so I still don't understand why you used it to support your statement that ...
Because, IME, it's not very often calcs allow a 25A MCB on a domestic multipoint 2.5mm² radial.
I think I must still be 'missing something'!

Kind Regards, John

It would (quickly add up) maintaining a ring like that by dropping to socket then returning back up the same route, but -

for a radial, each drop has no effect on the total length of another.

Assuming 25m. then a 22m. run with a 3m. drop at the end could have any number of 3m. drops along the route without altering the maximum length.
Do I assume you are advocating installing a junction box of some sort for every socket?
That was my point - it was a single anecdote, relating to a situation which would be extremely unusual in a domestic setting, so I still don't understand why you used it to support your statement that ...
I think I must still be 'missing something'!

Kind Regards, John
Yes I think you missed the part about reading my post where I described a known circuit, a very similar comparible circuit could EASILY be found in a very average domestic property.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back