What to do with redundant extrenal overflow for toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing my close coupled cloakroom toilet with a similar but more modern model. The old toilet has an external overflow pipe running from the bottom of the cistern out through the external wall of the house. The new toilet is fitted with an internal overflow to the pan. What's the best way of dealing with the redundant overflow going through my wall?

I'll be putting new travertine tiling over the cloakroom wall inside, so I'd like to have the pipe end sealed off at least in order to have a flat surface to tile onto. However, I'm also concerned about moisture/humidity coming in through the pipe affecting the adhesion of the tiling.

Any recommendations? Thanks! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Push it through , and pull it out the other side, and fill up the hole.
Well thats what i would do.

Adrian

Assuming it goes straight through the wall, as the prev poster said - cut it internally to remove any bends, push or pull it, either from the inside or outside to remove it, and cover the hole on the inside and out with appropriate materials.

Thanks for the replies, it did seem to be the most sensible thing to do as it is a bit of a fudge just to leave redundant pipework. Now to mix barely a cupful of matching mortar for the external brick wall fill - it's right at the front door so it'll need to be a decent match.

cheers folks :)

Sponsored Links
if you are worried about making a mess on the outside leave the pipe where it exits the wall and seal it from the inside, it cant look out of place as it has always been there and on the inside the wall will be tiled. rather that than bust the roughcast

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back