what to use to seal this leak ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have finished plumbing toilet and have tested for leaks, had quite a few but tightened up compression fittings and am now left with 2 minute little drips,

i have used ptfe tape on both, improving it but still tiny drip !
as i am a novice thought i'd ask if anyone got suggestion ie best product to use.

the problem connections seem to be where connectors (possibly a reducer of some sort) screw into the valve as shown in picture, is it ok for me just to use loads of ptfe tape on this type of fitting, and does anyone think this will work
DSC00037_2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Chances are you over tighned the fittings. Its a common error for beginers. Next time just do it up gently then you can always add a 1/4 turn if necessary

Sponsored Links
is it worth putting on some paste and ptfe tape to make sure,

prob silly idea coz i taake it they do same job but i am bit concerned because those valves etc obv are getting tiled over, gotta make sure they never leak !!!!!!!

Typical DIYer who wants to tile over plumbing fittings.

If its a valve then it should remain accessible!

It rather defeats the object of having a valve if you then make it inaccessible.

If you dont need a valve then remove it and then tile over if you have to.

Its far better to have all pipework accessible, behind access panels if necessary.

Tony

they are wall mounted taps, there will be hole cut round the tile which going over them for the handle to screw onto the valve

is it correct to call them valves ? may not have explained myself properly

cheers

can you use a fibre washer as well as say ptfe tape to ensure seal !!!!!

i may be way off with that one but thought id ask

Wind the PTFE on the male thread in a clockwise direction to form a taper.

The fitting you are pointing to looks as though it could be a straight compression joint.
take it out [and the one at the other end while you are at it] Replace it with a 15mm Copper x 1/2 BSPM straight connector. This will have a tapered thread or a flange that will form a seal against the valve thread.

The whole thing must be a lash-up because you can see what looks like PTFE tape past the end of the capnut, i.e. on the dry side of the olive.

Given that, I'd have every single one of those joints apart and make them on properly.

There's nothing wrong with tiling over this area afterwards, as long as you understand that one day you might need to break tiles to get in there and you keep enough spares set aside for that day.

think the fitting your talking about is tapered, this is the fittings that came with taps, also the reason there is a bit of ptfe tape sticking out from that end is that i was advised to put tape over olive and either side.

flyfto said:
the reason there is a bit of ptfe tape sticking out from that end is that i was advised to put tape over olive and either side.
All that achieves is to make it more difficult to gauge the torque on the capnut.

Whoever advised you should have his spanners taken away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back