What type of central heating to go for ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Here's a good one for you.

I have just finished building a new house which is 700 cu mt of internal space, the whole house is open plan vaulted ceiling so there really isn't seperate room on this one..

I was originally going for a Biomass heating system which I was assured was cost effective, that was until I just got the quote. Now I seek an alternative.

Based on calculations I need a 30kw system to heat the house.

Don't have natural gas. Have electric, LPG (Bottled), solid fuel (Wood) and thats about it.

What would be the most cost effective (sounds better than cheapest) central heating system to 30kw to install ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

Sponsored Links
I suggest you look at kakkleovens. They are a large ceramic stove in which you burn about (I think) 30 kg of wood by loading it, lighting it, burning it at full tilt, then it acts as a storage heater until you light it the next day.

None of this wet, pain in the neck central heating thrown in and thinking only of the cost of bits and how cheap can you do it. I was standing in a suppliers this morniong and an old plumber with a smart van was buying some bits. "Can I 'ave one o' them dirt cheap drain cocks.." sums up the "profession" oops END-OF-RANT.

Sponsored Links
Woodburners are really good if you like spiders, woodlice and beetles crawling out of your log-box.

DO NOT get LPG!! One of the most exspensive ways to run your heating!!

Seems strange to have built your house and only now thinking how to heat it?

Underfloor would seem the obvious choice especially being open plan. Easier to install during construction though.

Even when there are no logs in for weeks in the summer we still have spiders , silverfish, bluebottles, wasps, moths, butterflies, etc etc. Life isn't worth living sometimes is it? :rolleyes:

As you have finished the build before considering cost and installation of a heating system, I regret your options are now limited. One of the advantages of new self build is the opportunity to embrace GSHP, Solar, Biomass, Pellet (appliance & storage) and underfloor heating technologies. Unfortunately some (as you've shown) are put off by price.

If you had thought things through, you could have used an air solar heated rock store under the house. 100 tonnes of rock under the house which you heat during the summer to say 300 deg C then get it back in the winter.

kakkleovens

Does this stove exist ?.

A dunsley back boiler could be installed which are not that expensive and linked up to the CH system with oil or electric as backup.

kakkleovens should read kakkelovns

Well the information came up under this spelling anyway. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back