What type of fixing for wardrobe shelf?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I have a built in wardrobe that has a shelf with a large space above it. I'd like to match this with another shelf above. I believe I need to use 18mm white melamine but I'm not sure what kind of fixings to use. This is going to be screwed into plasterboard and I know I'll need countersink so the screw sits flush. Any suggestions for the type of wall fixing and length of screw I could use for this?

Thanks in advance.
img_6950-jpeg.334309

Attachments

• IMG_6950.jpeg
    IMG_6950.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 110
  • IMG_6951.jpeg
    IMG_6951.jpeg
    941.4 KB · Views: 14
Sponsored Links
Is it dot and dab plasterboard on thermalite or is it plasterboard on timber stud?

If you screw directly above each of the existing screw positions you are likely to hit stud the existing shelf is fitted too .
Simpler method would be to make shelf with leg each end and just sit it on top of existing , also makes it easily removable .

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestion. What's wrong with hitting the stud the existing shelf is fitted to? Would your suggestion of legs not mean the top shelf would slide back and forth easily? Or would you still screw the legs into the wall, but the fixings aren't actually holding any load?

Thanks for the suggestion. What's wrong with hitting the stud the existing shelf is fitted to? Would your suggestion of legs not mean the top shelf would slide back and forth easily? Or would you still screw the legs into the wall, but the fixings aren't actually holding any load?
Nothing wrong with trying to hit existing studs.If you go with loose shelf it’s weight and tight fit would prevent it sliding around unless you plan on loading with heavy weight .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back