What wire goes where???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is an old electric fire, i need to put a new plug on it.
Can you please tell me which is the LIVE, NEUTRAL & EARTH is?? :confused:
I think the middle one is the EARTH...

107000_106847_4462_71186811_thumb.jpg

Thanks in advance.... :)

Sponsored Links
It's hard to tell from your picture as its dark, what are the colours of them?

Have you got a continuity meter/multi meter ?

The colours look like black- N, red-L and yellow (with a wee green stripe)- E

Replace the cable as well. It looks like its had its day.

Go get some 3 core 1.25mm or 1.5mm² flex - heat resistant.

Sponsored Links
If the flex is that old, you have to wonder if the fire is safe.

It may well have an exposed metal element.

If it does, touching it will not only burn, but will deliver a potentially fatal shock too :eek:

And once upon a time people plugged irons and so on into unearthed lamp-holders, as electricity in houses was originally just for lighting.

And once upon a time people plugged irons and so on into unearthed lamp-holders, as electricity in houses was originally just for lighting.
Too right Bas!
I well remember my grandmother doing just that!
She had one of those two way lamp holders where you could put a BC lamp in one socket and a BC adapter in the other! the earth wire just floated free!

BTW can you still buy those twin lamp holder adapters? I think Woolies used to sell'em when I was a kid.
Regards
FB

I dunno.

I do know that I recently unearthed a couple of copies of Popular Wireless, or similar, from 1928 & 1930, and one of them had an article on how to modify your radio to work from the new electric light instead of batteries...

If I can locate a scanner, I'll put a copy up for people to read - it also gives an interesting insight into installation techniques of the day.

I've got a twin BC adaptor in the shed.

I'll go out in the rain and take a pic if anyone is really interested. :cry:

While we're on the subject, you used to be able to buy the plastic BC holder which had 2 terminals in it for connecting the wires to, anyone know where you can still get them from?

I don't think you can any more.

We tried to source some at work a while back, but drew a blank.

Unfortunatly I can't tell you what we wanted them for:cool:

Or a curious child who didn't know better?
Which is why if you have children too young to be educated about the dangers a fire presents you make damn sure you have a securely fixed firegaurd or use a heating system that is cool enough not to cause serious burns and has no exposed live parts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back