What's a better deterrent CCTV or Alarm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The reason I ask is that almost all houses where I live have alarms but very few have CCTV.

If everyone has an alarm will it lose it's deterrent factor as scumbags see them as just another hurdle to get over

Does CCTV make a big difference?

Sponsored Links
If every house in your street has an alarm except yours, yours looks like the easy one.

Most CCTV are dummies and no deterrent. A hoodie will stop me being recognised anyway.

If you have no alarm, the CCTV will not help much

I have an alarm but if everyone else does, do they lose the deterrent factor

When I'm out burgling, I always look for the most attractive house - no alarm, poor locks, open windows, car keys on hall table, laptop and PS lying around in clear sight, weak and rotten doors, easy access to back of house - what else have you got?

And if your house looks easier than the one next door, I'll do yours not theirs.

Sponsored Links
CCTV might possibly do a bit of good in tracing people after you've been burgled

A good noisy alarm might discourage them before they've had anything (especially if you can encourage busybody neighbours, and/or have a communicating alarm)

I used to be away from home a lot, I got a commercial alarm, and paid a local Mobile Guard company to be keyholders and come round in the event of an call. It is monitored so police are also called in a confirmed alert. My retired neighbour also has a key so I reckon I am well covered. I have only ever had one attempted breakin, and got very fast response. The little scrotes broke down the garden fence in their panic to get away.

Not cheap though.

First of all step back and think "How would I break into my house if I lost my keys".

You will go to where you think it is vunerable, like the half landing window never locked ( bet you went wow, how did he know that). The back door with the key lelft on the inside.
Maybe not, then you remember the little window that would cost 4 quid to replace and pick up the shovel in the garden ( oops fine tool to break in with, thanks says the thief).

Think of that as a risk assesment, then think what you have worth protecting.
Is it worth a DIY system, if so be happy.

If not consider 1st good physical security, some lighting but remember it can aid a thief. An alarm , well I would, best you can afford.
CCTV handy, can catch after the event.

All above are deterents, in one way or another.
Keep valuables out of sight, car and house keys in a draw not on a table by the letterbox ( fishing rods used to snatch keys, and yes it is common).

Use common sence and some preventitive measures and hopefully you will deter the idiots, if your specificially targeted then you have something they know about and want.

Facebook has helped this one, as people or their children post pictures of thier homes and can be pinpointed by the site!!!!

Isnt technology fun!

I know all the preventive stuff, just wanted to know if CCTV was worth it

Well if you know all the preventitive stuff, you will know how useful CCTV is then wont you.

Well if you know all the preventitive stuff, you will know how useful CCTV is then wont you.
You are such a pompous pri@k who always turns a simple f$@$ing question into another boring lecture, I know and probably most do about locks and basic security.

The question was purely about CCTV nothing else

Do me a favour and DON'T respond to anymore of my threads

CCTV is a significant deterrant IMO, both to theft and antisocial behavior.

THe bad guys do know that most cctv recordings are rubbish (poor quality, badly lit/positioned, short retention especially on tape or black box style recorders) and that a hoodie is a pretty good defence. But - the police do ask for recordings and do use them to gather evidence and help with prosecutions.

So again, it's "Why would he do mine and not next door?" The answer for me is simply that we own a number of unique properties that are all very rural. There is no next door. Also the rural thieves are often a lot more aggressive, professional and come in number. I know a local man who interrupted a theft by three men to be told "Go away or have your legs broken. Your choice" Cameras don't help much in preventing that.

Call your local crime prevention officer if you're concerned. They're good and can sometimes provide free dummy cameras and a lot of advice.

Personally, I think the best defence is nosy neighbours, a careful approach to security, and a big dog. I'm serious about that last thing - unless it's a ruthless professional team with a specific target, they won't break into a house with a large and noisy dog.

A key question is, do YOU think it is worth it?

The issue is clouded by what sort of system you put in place. Cheap and under specced or well specced, dogs danglies?

A key question is, do YOU think it is worth it?

The issue is clouded by what sort of system you put in place. Cheap and under specced or well specced, dogs danglies?

Well the question was more as a general rule for an average home, rather than getting into forensic detail about the spec of the system, lets assume a reasonable one generally thought as good enough for the job.

If I knew I wouldn't ask the question, like I said I see lots of alarms on houses but rarely CCTV, therefore I would assume the popular perception its that they are not worth the bother, but is that perception true?

If billy burglar thinks twice about an alarm will he think 3 times if he sees CCTV?

if everyone has an alarm and good perimeter security how long before they lose the deterrent effect and the scum have a go anyway

Your answer was ambigious, hence the reply.

Ever wonderd why no one has thanked you?

Your the pompus person here, but i`ll be glad to not waste my time on such a narssic peddler.

Your answer was ambigious, hence the reply.

Ever wonderd why no one has thanked you?

Your the pompus person here, but i`ll be glad to not waste my time on such a narssic peddler.

Actually I have been thanked quite a few times they just don't show up near my name not that I give a f&$k

You have given me the same waffle at least 3x and you always manage to throw in something about DIY systems even though it was never mentioned!

What was it that was AMBIGUOUS in my response to you that caused you to reply again

You don't help so your comments aren't wanted.......take the hint

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back