whats a reasonable time for builder/gardener to quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the last 2 weekends i have various builders/gardeners coming otu to quote on my garden work - i think im now have seen around the 12 or 13 so far - how long does it take for you to quote on work - only 2 have come back within 3/4 days - as im taking it that they are not interested in the job. im now setting up other appointments as it difficult to know with the 2 quotes ive got if theyare reasonable - as there's a difference of £1.5k so far but that doesnt help me when i asked for themto price things separately and only one did!!!!

Sponsored Links
i would guess 3-4 days to sort it, 2-3 days for post, total a week

how can i put this politely

some times people want to know the ins and outs of how a job will be done, thats fine but its the way you ask that is some times off putting.

thanks breezer do you mean by me asking to price things separately? the only reason i asked for this is because i know its a big job so thought that i could do certain things this year and the rest next year - nothing more than that. All said thats what they do anyway. Some went into details and others didnt - i just basically gave them informaton of what i wanted done and where i wanted it done - measurements were taken and they either offered suggestions that i wouldnt have thought of and they got the answer to. i know they might have been a bit shocked at the amoutn of work that might be done as they have limited access to getting into my garden i.e. through a narrow hallway so have also taken this that this might not be worth their while as they might be concerned that ill be claiming on their insurance - those that have it. i dont think i went too far to ask for the ins and outs as dont want to be confused anymore than i need to be - just as long as the garden looks how i expect it to and lasts a few years. But i will take your point on board.

Sadly, for a few years now, trades such as mine have had an easy time of it, with so much work on offer. It has lead to some of us becoming complacent and treating clients poorly. I really hope the current economic situation sorts some of these wasters out. In other words, getting work is going to get harder so only the good ones will survive. Maybe this is what you have experienced so far. It will only happen if clients make it so.

As far as your job is concerned it does sound like a bit of a biggie, and not the easiest. So I'm guessing the guys you have seen so far can still afford to be choosey with the work they do. That said, they should just say "sorry, its not a job I want to take on right now, but have you tried....." or similar. That's what I do in those rare occasions I really cant face a job.

On the other hand, the ones that have not quoted within a week may be subject to issues you dont know about, so I'd give them a few more days before binning them altogether.

Just my 2c

Sponsored Links
thanks for the insight WabbitPoo. its not so bad as today i did get 2 quotes in and one said its cos he mislaid the paper so you're right in that respect anything can happen. I just got the impression from some that they arent that busy as they are hoping to do the job september when ive mentioned next year - as i always thought if you want work doing you call the builder in and once you are happy with his quote he books you when he has the capacity which has been at last a few weeks if not a few months. The quotes ive received so far are so different that i will now have to wait for others - cos the job is the same but the quotes went from just under £2K to just under £6k

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back