Whats the best car for DIY repairs ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As cars seem to be getting less DIY friendly these days i wondered if there are any makes of car or model that things are easy to get to and work on.
Got a Mondeo and it seems like its been built complicated and difficult to get to on purpose .

Sponsored Links
The Lentil eating gaurdian mob wont like it but IMHO a Landrover! the classic. Even in deepest darkest congo you find someone who has spares and knows how to fix one.

you will need to get an audi/ vw

everything else a nightmare

basic servicing an easy job

but computers nned to be hooked up on all cars as so many things dont bring up engine management lights

1970's VW beetle.

Everything can be replaced, tuned with a spanner and screwdriver, (plus blow torch, allen keys, hammer, gaffer tape etc etc).

But you wont need a computer to check it!!

Sponsored Links
Most cars before electronics started to be fitted. I loved having a fiddle under the bonnet, the back seat was better. ;)

you will need to get an audi/ vw

everything else a nightmare

basic servicing an easy job

but computers nned to be hooked up on all cars as so many things dont bring up engine management lights

Um try working on my audi rs6 then. You have to take it apart to get to the oil fill cap , let alone trying to find the sparkplugs! And after you remove the bumper/ undertray etc you can get to the oil filter :eek:

The 1st thing i threw off the Mondeo was the under tray :LOL: . Its supposed to cut down on noise and/or protect the sump so they say :rolleyes: but i think its just Ford making things difficult to do DIY job.s as its made no difference to noise levels or anything else

The 1st thing i threw off the Mondeo was the under tray :LOL: . Its supposed to cut down on noise and/or protect the sump so they say :rolleyes: but i think its just Ford making things difficult to do DIY job.s as its made no difference to noise levels or anything else

Looking at the junk left on motorway hard shoulders, I thought they were self - removing. :p

Old Volvo 240s and the like seem to last so long that pre - electronic everything ones are still on the road.

If you like the old Audi 5-pot mill, that's what they used to weigh down the front end of the 850s

Our old 740 is now approaching 200,000 miles. OK, it is beginning to show a bit now, but I lust love the sound of piston slap in the mornings :LOL:

Ah,the 740,s,now there is a car with bags of character that i have always fancied owning but expensive parts and complicated engines have put me off a bit. Volvo used to be good cars till Ford got a finger in there pie

Golfs, Polo's and Passats have to be one of the best designed for working on.
Diagnostic scanners and software are readilly available, cheap and easy to use.
Parts are cheap from places like GSF, but even main dealer originals are pretty well priced.

I have a fiat cinquecento sporting, and of all the cars I have owned over the last 20 years, its the newest and easiest to work on despite its small engine bay, although I dont get much of a chance to do anything on it as its been really reliable, bet your all surprised at that :D

Sponsored Links
Back