whats the right thing to do

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi every body i am wondering what is the right approach to to a call out today.

This is a very long story but it needs to be told to understand the situation

I was called out today to an old gentlemen in the next village saying he has no power to the house.
Thinking its could be a problem with the supply main fuse i went to have a look.
On arriving at the property i was met by the old gentle men and told the full story.
Next door to his house is a huge pile of brick rubble this was his old garage - workshop were for many years he sold fuel and mended commercial vehicles.
What happened is as follows he got permission to pull down the old garage and build on the land.
But his bungalow was fed from the old garage which had a 3 phase supply and a additional meter for his house.
He asked the electricity board to kill the supply to the garage and put the meter in a new box built into his garden wall.
The electric company did as asked and then went of course leaving him with no power.
The guy and his wife are both disabled and he needs an oxygen machine to keep him going.
Basically the guy never thought about the supply cable from the box to the house he thought they would do it all.
After contacting the local council and the electric board in question they have said its your problem you need to get this work done.
So the guy in desperation has run a 6mm twin and earth from the meter to a socket dangling through his letterbox.
Then from this he got a flex with a plug on either end and plugged one into supply cable and other into socket in the house thus back feeding the supply to the house. ( makes me cringe thinking about it)
Then to make matters worse the mains board lid is missing and everything is exposed and very dangerous and has been like this for past 2 month.
He has purchased all the gear to do the job ie 16mm swa cable 80a switch fuse and a new split load mains board 16th edition.
The problem i have is what to do for the best, the supply he has at the moment is lethal but he cant afford to uprate to 17th edition.
Normally i would walk away but i hate to think this guy could kill himself or his wife and no one in authority seems to care.
If it had been a straight supply to his house i wouldn't have been bothered but getting involved with the consumer unit a different story.
Then of course it needs updating and testing all work he cant afford to have done.
So what do you do leave it and watch the obituary columns or do it and at least make it safe even if not politically correct

Sponsored Links
he got permission to pull down the old garage and build on the land.

Then of course it needs updating and testing all work he cant afford to have done.
But he could afford to have the garage demolished and to build on the land?

He ran a business for years - sob stories to suppliers on how he can't pay are ingrained.

Let me get this right.

He's got planning permission to pull down the garage and build on the land.

And he's got as far as having someone demolish the garage prior to starting some sort of major build. Presumably he didn't do that himself if he's on an oxygen machine!

And, also presumably, he plans to pay to have whatever it is built. At the very least he must be planning to pay for materials for his build (although, he doesn't sound much like a self-builder).

But he claims that he can't afford a 17th edition CU for his own house.

He's gotta be having you on!!!!!

Sponsored Links
I think I would shove in small rcd board with a couple of sockets (my builders board would do it!) and leave him to run extension leads for lights and his oxygen. That way you don't have to touch any of the house electrics...

SB

Thanks for all the quick replys but i must just need to update a few things which i have been told to the best of my knowledge.
yes he did pay for the garage to be pulled down but thats all the land is for sale for building on.
if he can sell the land then no problem but money is tight at the moment as it is with most people.
i am just concerned that the way he is living is a danger to all concerned but i don't want to get myself into trouble by helping him.

Ring social services!
Poor Bu@@£r! no garage, no O, no electric, no one buy his land.
Was he once a farmer?

Extra £80-100 new CU

What happens if his machine breaks down ?
There musst be a contingency for this as i know people who have bottled oxygen supplied.

If it were me, I would make it safe if practical, then write out a "DANGEROUS INSTALLATION" notice, explain everything, get him to sign it and leave a copy, along with a written quote for all works needed to bring it up to 7671:2008.

Thanks for all the replys i think your right securespark i will make it safe then get the paperwork sorted then the ball is in his court.
I really want to help the guy but i dont want to be in trouble myself thanks again

yes he did pay for the garage to be pulled down but thats all the land is for sale for building on.
if he can sell the land then no problem but money is tight at the moment as it is with most people.
Tell him you'll do the job if he gives you title to half the land.

I'd do it as a charitable effort.

Sort a proper supply, buried, to the old CU, tidy things up to make it half decent, and flee. ;)

true, but the materials are all there. all he has to do is donate maybe a day and a half of labour, over a weekend say, on top of his usual work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back