Whats this pipe inside my rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just removed my dining room rad as it was leaking. The valves are both on the same side with a drain hose tail on the other side. When i removed the rad there is about 18" of plastic pipe from the valve going into the radiator. What is this and will i need a special kind of replacement rad.
:confused: Cheers Rob.

Sponsored Links
Single entry valves? Is it microbore pipe (small diameter)? The pipe is used to create circulation across the whole radiator panel.

The tail is part of the twin entry radiator valve. It's purpose is to keep the flow and return flows from mixing when they enter the radiator.

If you're replacing the radiator it's best to have two separate radiator valves, one at each end. You'll probably have to extend one of the heating pipes to do this.

It you insist on refitting the twin entry valve you'll have to find a radiator which would allow the plastic tail to be inserted, which might be difficult.

Sponsored Links
Micro bore double entry Vv. If you look inside face of Vv you will see 2 holes one is flow other return , pipe as said fits into hole in Vv before fitting to rad .

A common prob with this design is if pipe not fitted or comes loose rad will not heat as water circulates just at Vv body.

You will have to get a rad that allows pipe to be inserted into rad , ask at local merchants or alter pipework so that you have a pipe at each end of rad , Must be a fairly old system.

Seen these valves being used with what i can only assume was 6mm? smaller than 8mm for for sure?

Is this common or more like a one off from someone who could get there hands on lots of small pipe (refrigeration engineer etc)?

Cheers everybody. I will contact my local suppliers tomorrow to see if i can get a suitable rad. :)

Seen these valves being used with what i can only assume was 6mm? smaller than 8mm for for sure?

Is this common or more like a one off from someone who could get there hands on lots of small pipe (refrigeration engineer etc)?

one pipe system went out with the ark

That wasn't the question :LOL:

Was 6mm (or imperial equivelent as the sytem was ancient) commonly used at the time as it is unheard of these days with regard's to microbore systems?

Only seen it once, which is the reason i ask

Sam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back