What's this pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm just about to buy a house and discovered this pipe sticking up in the garden. I've asked vendor, estate agent, surveyor and builder and not getting any response. Any ideas much appreciated.
DSC_2296 copy.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Hello. Sorry, no photo, but it's sealed with a square bolt. What do you think it might have carried? Water, gas, oil, sewerage ... ?

It looks like a gas or water pipe.

What is ( was ) in the garden close to it ? Look for signs of there having been a shed or a base for an oil tank. Maybe a bottom of the garden toilet at some time. Pond with a water feature ?

Very unlikely to be anything to do with sewers though it might be a sampling access where sewer gas can be tested

Sponsored Links
it looks very much like malleable iron gas pipe. Probably served an outbuilding as mentioned. Worth checking what it is if you were serious on buying. There is a slim possibility it is for gas sampling which could indicate something unusual. I heard of someone who had one similar and it was a gas take off for an old buried tank. turned out to be a real rats nest of problems and expense with local environment agency about removing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back